Old 24-08-2012, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Are these slugs doing what I think!

Moonraker wrote in
:

Coitus interrupticus! You could at least have let them finish

What a lot of people don't know is that whilst slugs are
hermaphrodites, it is quite common for a slug to mate as a male only
once. This is because the male bit often gets so tangled up during
the twisting mating ritual that the only way to separate for the
after-cigarette is to chew the willy off. Thereafter the slug can
only mate as a female.

I suppose that's why most slug eggs result from self fertilisation as
it's safer.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Too much information Jake.

Speak for yourself. It would be much easier if a man had a pregnancy and
gave birth. We wouldn't have all this whinging and complaining!
We would give birth and carry on working, as if nothing had happened.
AND we would rid the kitchen of dodgy wouldbe cooks.

Baz