Old 27-08-2012, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What to do with lemons

songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

I have a surplus of lemons. I have made lemon cordial, Moroccan
preserved lemons, lemon marmalade and I have a year's supply frozen
lemon juice or more. There are still 4 milk crates of them left. If
refrigerated I might use half a crate over the next few months
before they go rotten. There is no market for them and there are
insufficient takers to give them all away. Any constructive
suggestions?

craigslist free give away. might have
someone willing to come get them if they
know about them. put up a flyer at the
grocers/library/any other public bulletin
board.

fresh made lemonade. we can use a dozen
lemons a day for that alone.

See cordial below

slice them and pack them in sugar.

candied lemon peels are great for cooking.

I had forgotten candying, I will try that for some.

more lemon cordial (how did you make this?
there must be hundreds of versions). consider
doing variants for cooking sauces later (garlic,
ginger, onion, spiced).

Wash and dry lemons. Zest them - only the yellow part. Juice them, boil
juice and zest 15 minutes then add as much white sugar as juice, dissolve
and bottle. It will keep indefinitely. To use add one finger in a tall
glass and fill with soda water, stir. Very yummy instant lemonade.