Old 30-08-2012, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Wood Preserver for New Fence

hugh ] wrote in news:7s9drIE0B9OQFAO7
@nospam.raefell.co.uk:

In message , Sadge
writes
Hi, I've just had a new picket fence (3 ft high) installed round part
of
my front garden - it's about 25 yds long.

Can anybody give me an idea of how much wood preserver I should buy
please - it is treated wood but I'd like to give it a coat of something
a bit darker.

Thanks.

--
Sadge

If it were a solid fence that would be 25 y2 each side i.e. 50 y2.

You then need to measure the gap between each vertical and subtract
thickness of each edge and calculate equivalent y2 and subtract from
total. That gives you the area to be covered. You will probably need to
convert that to metric. Then look on the tin for coverage guide for the
type of wood, rough or planed. Divide into total and you have your
answer.

LOL, how complicated can this get?
Work out the surface area of one pail and multiply it by the total number
of pails. Same with the posts and rails. Simple.
If you give me the pofile of each timber and linear for post and rail, I
will work it out for you.

Baz