Old 30-08-2012, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Euphorbia - tired

On Aug 29, 1:25*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 8/29/12 11:55 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Two Euphorbia in pots on the back porch. *Lots of sun, esp. summer.

Have never pruned a Euphobia, but need to learn how pretty quick.
From photo you can see how they are hanging tiredly down.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view¤...

They get plenty of water.

Are they getting too much sun?

Will check Internet for Euphorbia (can't remember variety; does
anybody know)? but meantime would appreciate any advice.

This is So. Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

Some Euphorbias are quite drought tolerant, and others prefer abundant
water. *Some take severe pruning, cutting away an entire shoot after it
blooms; others take only light trimming. *Try to identify which species
you have and then check Sunset's "Western Garden Book" to see the
watering requirement of yours and how to groom it.

***I actually found the tag buried in the dirt! It's Euphorbia
charcalas 'Dwarf''
and the Western Garden Book does have a note on pruning, so thanks for
the heads-up.

The plant or pot might have become too hot in the recent (and now
starting again) heat wave. *Either the foliage lost moisture faster than
the confined roots could supply it, or else the roots might have cooked.

***It's been in the pots for maybe 3 seasons -- damn how fast they
streak by...and has withstood our annual Aug/Sept heat wave,
so most likely just needs pruning, but I will see if I can feel down
to the roots if they are too tangled.

The pot might not be draining. *This can be a result of roots clogging
the drain holes. *(I had a potted dwarf kumquat that committed suicide
by drowning that way.)

Oh, poor thing! No, I always carefully check that overflow comes out
of the drain hole.

Tx for help.

HB

--