Old 29-08-2012, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Euphorbia - tired

Two Euphorbia in pots on the back porch. Lots of sun, esp. summer.

Have never pruned a Euphobia, but need to learn how pretty quick.
From photo you can see how they are hanging tiredly down.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/...rbia-tired.jpg

They get plenty of water.

Are they getting too much sun?

Will check Internet for Euphorbia (can't remember variety; does
anybody know)? but meantime would appreciate any advice.

This is So. Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

Old 29-08-2012, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/29/12 11:55 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Two Euphorbia in pots on the back porch. Lots of sun, esp. summer.

Have never pruned a Euphobia, but need to learn how pretty quick.
From photo you can see how they are hanging tiredly down.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/...rbia-tired.jpg

They get plenty of water.

Are they getting too much sun?

Will check Internet for Euphorbia (can't remember variety; does
anybody know)? but meantime would appreciate any advice.

This is So. Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

Some Euphorbias are quite drought tolerant, and others prefer abundant
water. Some take severe pruning, cutting away an entire shoot after it
blooms; others take only light trimming. Try to identify which species
you have and then check Sunset's "Western Garden Book" to see the
watering requirement of yours and how to groom it.

The plant or pot might have become too hot in the recent (and now
starting again) heat wave. Either the foliage lost moisture faster than
the confined roots could supply it, or else the roots might have cooked.

The pot might not be draining. This can be a result of roots clogging
the drain holes. (I had a potted dwarf kumquat that committed suicide
by drowning that way.)

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 30-08-2012, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
Two Euphorbia in pots on the back porch. Lots of sun, esp. summer.

Have never pruned a Euphobia, but need to learn how pretty quick.
From photo you can see how they are hanging tiredly down.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/...rbia-tired.jpg

They get plenty of water.

Are they getting too much sun?

Will check Internet for Euphorbia (can't remember variety; does
anybody know)? but meantime would appreciate any advice.

Looks like a Euphorbia Wulfenii to me.

Are you sure it's not got dry spots in the pot? I'd suggest 3 things - just
cut off the dead bits at the base, repot what's left and strip some of the
flower heads that might have seeds on them and put them in seed raising mix
to start some new ones.

Old 30-08-2012, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 29, 1:25*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 8/29/12 11:55 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Two Euphorbia in pots on the back porch. *Lots of sun, esp. summer.

Have never pruned a Euphobia, but need to learn how pretty quick.
From photo you can see how they are hanging tiredly down.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view¤...

They get plenty of water.

Are they getting too much sun?

Will check Internet for Euphorbia (can't remember variety; does
anybody know)? but meantime would appreciate any advice.

This is So. Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

Some Euphorbias are quite drought tolerant, and others prefer abundant
water. *Some take severe pruning, cutting away an entire shoot after it
blooms; others take only light trimming. *Try to identify which species
you have and then check Sunset's "Western Garden Book" to see the
watering requirement of yours and how to groom it.

***I actually found the tag buried in the dirt! It's Euphorbia
charcalas 'Dwarf''
and the Western Garden Book does have a note on pruning, so thanks for
the heads-up.

The plant or pot might have become too hot in the recent (and now
starting again) heat wave. *Either the foliage lost moisture faster than
the confined roots could supply it, or else the roots might have cooked.

***It's been in the pots for maybe 3 seasons -- damn how fast they
streak by...and has withstood our annual Aug/Sept heat wave,
so most likely just needs pruning, but I will see if I can feel down
to the roots if they are too tangled.

The pot might not be draining. *This can be a result of roots clogging
the drain holes. *(I had a potted dwarf kumquat that committed suicide
by drowning that way.)

Oh, poor thing! No, I always carefully check that overflow comes out
of the drain hole.

Tx for help.

HB

Old 30-08-2012, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 29, 10:08*pm, "Farm1" wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

Two Euphorbia in pots on the back porch. *Lots of sun, esp. summer.

Have never pruned a Euphobia, but need to learn how pretty quick.
From photo you can see how they are hanging tiredly down.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view¤...

They get plenty of water.

Are they getting too much sun?

Will check Internet for Euphorbia (can't remember variety; does
anybody know)? but meantime would appreciate any advice.

Looks like a Euphorbia Wulfenii to me.

***Close. As I wrote David above, it's Euphorbia charalas
'Dwarf'' (aka Bruce's Dwarf Euphorbia)

Are you sure it's not got dry spots in the pot? *I'd suggest 3 things - just
cut off the dead bits at the base, repot what's left and strip some of the
flower heads that might have seeds on them and put them in seed raising mix
to start some new ones.

***Wilco. I will also cut off some of the heavy leaning-out stems and
try to start new plants from them. I've been fairly good at that in
the past. I see new growth trying to establish itself.

Will also check for flower heads w/seeds.

Glad I posted the q. and got good answers; I've been nervously walking
around those pots thinking I *should* do something...

Tx!

HB

Old 31-08-2012, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 29, 10:08 pm, "Farm1" wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

Two Euphorbia in pots on the back porch. Lots of sun, esp. summer.

Have never pruned a Euphobia, but need to learn how pretty quick.
From photo you can see how they are hanging tiredly down.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view¤...

They get plenty of water.

Are they getting too much sun?

Will check Internet for Euphorbia (can't remember variety; does
anybody know)? but meantime would appreciate any advice.

Looks like a Euphorbia Wulfenii to me.

***Close. As I wrote David above, it's Euphorbia charalas
'Dwarf'' (aka Bruce's Dwarf Euphorbia)

Are you sure it's not got dry spots in the pot? I'd suggest 3 things -
just
cut off the dead bits at the base, repot what's left and strip some of the
flower heads that might have seeds on them and put them in seed raising
mix
to start some new ones.

***Wilco.
______________________________
LOL. Are you always so willing to agree?

HB:I will also cut off some of the heavy leaning-out stems and
try to start new plants from them. I've been fairly good at that in
the past. I see new growth trying to establish itself.

Will also check for flower heads w/seeds.

Glad I posted the q. and got good answers; I've been nervously walking
around those pots thinking I *should* do something...

__________________________________
I know what you mean. I've been ignoring a problem in my garden for months
so I might just go and darned well do it. NOW! (or at least when I finish
my ngs reading)

Old 31-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
HB
To prune euphorbia you need a clean cuts right above a healthy parent branch, cut off any remaining stems from the previous year in early spring. Apply a light aplication of organic nutrients on top of th soil. Mulch around but not on top of the plants with 3 inches of organci compost. water well until soil is completely moist in summers.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 02-09-2012, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

(http://tinyurl.com/8co4auy)*on top of th soil. Mulch around but not on
top of the plants with 3 inches of organci compost. water well until
soil is completely moist in summers.

--
allen73

Thanks Allen, but I have a q. timing. Bearing in mind that this
is So. Calif. coastal with a mild Mediterranean climate, do I have to
wait until early spring? We hardly have any "winter" to speak of.

I'd really like to get started removing the big, sloppying-over-the-
side branches, leaving room for the new growth to grow.

So if you could address the climate issue?

TIA

HB

[IMG] code is On

Euphorbia rowlandii aaa Gardening 1 17-10-2003 12:02 AM
Skin burn like Euphorbia United Kingdom 13 05-06-2003 09:19 AM
Euphorbia tirucalli dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 3 15-05-2003 08:32 AM
Euphorbia identification papa United Kingdom 1 14-03-2003 10:20 AM
Euphorbia mellifera lookalike ? papa United Kingdom 1 13-02-2003 05:12 PM