Old 23-04-2003, 12:36 PM
Charlie Pridham

Default Rejuvenating Clematis montana

"Hussein M." wrote in message
Hello helpful people,

It's a 'legacy' plant with the bole at ground level about six
inches across. It is supported on a SE facing brick wall and was
unfortunately given Jasminium nudiflorum as a companion and that was
un pruned for years. The J. n.'s habit has lifted the Clematis off the
wall to a distance of about 3 -4 feet which is very annoying as the
garden is small enough as it is. The Jasmine is definitely being moved
when I do something about the Clematis.

I know montanas are in the 'no need to prune group' but was
wondering if I could attack it now (after it has finished flowering).
Actually I don't mind if I end up killing it because it is very old in
the tooth and there are better climbers for a small garden.

I have a feeling that they're fairly indestructible. Am I right?

TIA (oops) grin - it is after all the easiest and most memorable
one.

Hussein

I usually reckon anything I can get loppers through is fair game, but if I
need a saw then I am pushing my luck! but you are correct they can be prune
after flowering and kept within bounds in even small gardens.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk