Old 22-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Hussein M.

Default Rejuvenating Clematis montana

Hello helpful people,

It's a 'legacy' plant with the bole at ground level about six
inches across. It is supported on a SE facing brick wall and was
unfortunately given Jasminium nudiflorum as a companion and that was
un pruned for years. The J. n.'s habit has lifted the Clematis off the
wall to a distance of about 3 -4 feet which is very annoying as the
garden is small enough as it is. The Jasmine is definitely being moved
when I do something about the Clematis.

I know montanas are in the 'no need to prune group' but was
wondering if I could attack it now (after it has finished flowering).
Actually I don't mind if I end up killing it because it is very old in
the tooth and there are better climbers for a small garden.

I have a feeling that they're fairly indestructible. Am I right?

TIA (oops) grin - it is after all the easiest and most memorable
one.

Hussein

Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.
Old 23-04-2003, 12:36 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Hussein M." wrote in message
[...]

I usually reckon anything I can get loppers through is fair game, but if I
need a saw then I am pushing my luck! but you are correct they can be prune
after flowering and kept within bounds in even small gardens.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 23-04-2003, 08:36 PM
Rachel Sullivan

In article , Hussein M.
writes
Hello helpful people,

It's a 'legacy' plant with the bole at ground level about six
inches across. It is supported on a SE facing brick wall and was
unfortunately given Jasminium nudiflorum as a companion and that was
un pruned for years. The J. n.'s habit has lifted the Clematis off the
wall to a distance of about 3 -4 feet which is very annoying as the
garden is small enough as it is. The Jasmine is definitely being moved
when I do something about the Clematis.

What a tangle! But sortable.

I know montanas are in the 'no need to prune group' but was
wondering if I could attack it now (after it has finished flowering).
Actually I don't mind if I end up killing it because it is very old in
the tooth and there are better climbers for a small garden.

Yes. Let it flower & then give it a really severe pruning. You could
take it right down to the ground & see what happened. It's old, so it
will probably kill it, but they have been known to spring anew, like a
phoenix from the ashes. If it does, keep it pruned back in June so it
doesn't become a monster again.

I have a feeling that they're fairly indestructible. Am I right?

Sort of. They're pretty tough, but like all clematis, they seem to have
a mind of their own.

--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site
Old 24-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Hussein M.

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:19:59 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Hussein M." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks to you and Rachel for your reassurances.

Old 24-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Michael Berridge

Charlie Pridham wrote in message

I usually reckon anything I can get loppers through is fair game, but

if I
need a saw then I am pushing my luck! but you are correct they can be

prune
after flowering and kept within bounds in even small gardens.

There is a new variety with yellow flowers, and is only grows to about
10 feet.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 24-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Rod

"Hussein M." wrote in message Thanks to you and Rachel for your reassurances.

I'm only going to agree with Charlie & Rachel, the usual scenario is C. montana pulls down whatever it's climbing up -
at that point I just cut off almost everything leaving just a manageable framework of larger shoots to tie in to the
reinstated support. A couple of years later you wouldn't know anything had been done.

Rod

Old 24-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Rachel Sullivan

In article , Michael Berridge
writes

Charlie Pridham wrote in message

I usually reckon anything I can get loppers through is fair game, but

if I
need a saw then I am pushing my luck! but you are correct they can be

prune
after flowering and kept within bounds in even small gardens.

There is a new variety with yellow flowers, and is only grows to about
10 feet.

....allegedly

We have a one called Jenny Keay, sold as 'a dwarf montana' only getting
to 8ft or so...

....we'll see!

--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site
Old 25-04-2003, 08:08 AM
Charlie Pridham

There is a new variety with yellow flowers, and is only grows to about
10 feet.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Yellow??? are you sure its montana?

Old 25-04-2003, 08:08 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:
| There is a new variety with yellow flowers, and is only grows to about
| 10 feet.
|
| Yellow??? are you sure its montana?

I have one of that type that is supposed to be cream, but it hasn't
flowered yet.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Rachel Sullivan

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:
| There is a new variety with yellow flowers, and is only grows to about
| 10 feet.
|
| Yellow??? are you sure its montana?

I have one of that type that is supposed to be cream, but it hasn't
flowered yet.

The one we have is called 'Primrose Star' - a heavy cream colour and
only yellow if you are *very* charitable.
--
Rachel