Old 06-09-2012, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Steve B[_7_] Steve B[_7_] is offline

Default Earthworms

I want to raise earthworms, both for the garden, and for bait. I am sure
that all it would take is some good soil, but would appreciate any cites to
sites that would help me sight in on this project. I have seen where a
chest freezer is buried, and filled with earthworm compatible things, and
the freezer helps to contain them so they are easy to harvest.

Anyone do this? Right now, when we come back from fishing, we dump them in
the garden at specific spots, but we really need to get in there and rip the
soil, because I fear it has one foot of soil, then a caliche hardpan. Just
really condition the soil in the whole of the garden, and start right from
square one. I can live with a foot or so of good soil for most crops, but
might have to dig a hole with the backhoe for the fridge to have a worm
hotel.

Help appreciated.

Steve