Old 06-09-2012, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Earthworms

I want to raise earthworms, both for the garden, and for bait. I am sure
that all it would take is some good soil, but would appreciate any cites to
sites that would help me sight in on this project. I have seen where a
chest freezer is buried, and filled with earthworm compatible things, and
the freezer helps to contain them so they are easy to harvest.

Anyone do this? Right now, when we come back from fishing, we dump them in
the garden at specific spots, but we really need to get in there and rip the
soil, because I fear it has one foot of soil, then a caliche hardpan. Just
really condition the soil in the whole of the garden, and start right from
square one. I can live with a foot or so of good soil for most crops, but
might have to dig a hole with the backhoe for the fridge to have a worm
hotel.

Help appreciated.

Steve

Old 06-09-2012, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 09:29:00 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

You needn't build anything... for fishing woims all you need do is
hose down a small area and sprinkle some dry cereal (oatmeal) on the
wet ground in late afternoon and the next morning well before sun up
bring a flashlight outside, you should see more than sufficient night
crawlers for a full day of fishing.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Steve B wrote:

I want to raise earthworms, both for the garden, and for bait. I am sure
that all it would take is some good soil, but would appreciate any cites to
sites that would help me sight in on this project. I have seen where a
chest freezer is buried, and filled with earthworm compatible things, and
the freezer helps to contain them so they are easy to harvest.

Anyone do this? Right now, when we come back from fishing, we dump them in
the garden at specific spots, but we really need to get in there and rip the
soil, because I fear it has one foot of soil, then a caliche hardpan. Just
really condition the soil in the whole of the garden, and start right from
square one. I can live with a foot or so of good soil for most crops, but
might have to dig a hole with the backhoe for the fridge to have a worm
hotel.

much fun. see my previous posts Subject:
worm composting and veggie scraps...

songbird
Old 06-09-2012, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Steve B wrote:
[...]

In looking for information be clear that what you are reading is about
earthworms. There are many vendors selling and providing information about
compost worms (red worms, tiger worms) which are not the same.

Earthworms eat decaying vegetable matter in the soil so you need to improve
the organic content to a high level. I see no reason why one foot deep
would not be adequate. The idea of containing the worms may make it easier
to catch them but how will you renew their food once they have processed the
whole thing? This also seems to miss out on the benefit of allowing the
worms to improve the structure of your garden soil. If you keep a high
level of organic matter in your soil and prevent it from drying out you
should have plenty to fish with.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 20:25:38 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

On Sep 6, 4:08*pm, "Farm1" wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

I want to raise earthworms, both for the garden, and for bait. *I am sure
that all it would take is some good soil, but would appreciate any cites to
sites that would help me sight in on this project. *I have seen where a
chest freezer is buried, and filled with earthworm compatible things, and
the freezer helps to contain them so they are easy to harvest.

Anyone do this? *Right now, when we come back from fishing, we dump them
in the garden at specific spots,

Are these bought worms? *If they are, what sort of worms are they?

but we really need to get in there and rip the

soil, because I fear it has one foot of soil, then a caliche hardpan.
Just really condition the soil in the whole of the garden, and start right
from square one. *I can live with a foot or so of good soil for most
crops, but might have to dig a hole with the backhoe for the fridge to
have a worm hotel.

Help appreciated.

I have 2 types of worms in my garden normal earthworms and compost worms.

This is fascinating! Do you mean there are two different species?
Or just that they operate in different media.
Straight question.

Were it an honest question you'd not have needed to announce it.

There are many types of earthworms on the planet.
You need to educate yourself instead of always doubting those who
know, look it up, there're plenty of sources on the net... you'll be
amazed.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Sep 6, 4:08 pm, "Farm1" wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

More than two. They are divided roughly into two groups, those that live in
earth and those that live in compost. The conditions for growing are
somewhat different and they are not interchangeable.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
On Sep 6, 4:08 pm, "Farm1" wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

_____________________________________
Actually there are many species of worms. Australia even has a giant one -
rare now but over 6 ft long apparently - it is found in areas of Gippsland
in Victoria:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxeT_GDKv9g

Old 07-09-2012, 07:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 6, 4:08 pm, "Farm1" wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Where have all the earthworms gone???? J. Morrow Australia 9 28-04-2003 02:08 AM
Earthworms=Drainage? Gardening 0 18-04-2003 04:20 AM
Earthworms=Drainage? Tom Jaszewski Gardening 0 11-04-2003 09:32 PM
Earthworms in Zoysia Lawn David W. Bennett Gardening 1 09-04-2003 07:20 PM
Earthworms Britannica United Kingdom 9 01-04-2003 11:08 PM