Old 06-09-2012, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Earthworms

Steve B wrote:
I want to raise earthworms, both for the garden, and for bait. I am
sure that all it would take is some good soil, but would appreciate
any cites to sites that would help me sight in on this project. I
have seen where a chest freezer is buried, and filled with earthworm
compatible things, and the freezer helps to contain them so they are
easy to harvest.
Anyone do this? Right now, when we come back from fishing, we dump
them in the garden at specific spots, but we really need to get in
there and rip the soil, because I fear it has one foot of soil, then
a caliche hardpan. Just really condition the soil in the whole of
the garden, and start right from square one. I can live with a foot
or so of good soil for most crops, but might have to dig a hole with
the backhoe for the fridge to have a worm hotel.

Help appreciated.

Steve

In looking for information be clear that what you are reading is about
earthworms. There are many vendors selling and providing information about
compost worms (red worms, tiger worms) which are not the same.

Earthworms eat decaying vegetable matter in the soil so you need to improve
the organic content to a high level. I see no reason why one foot deep
would not be adequate. The idea of containing the worms may make it easier
to catch them but how will you renew their food once they have processed the
whole thing? This also seems to miss out on the benefit of allowing the
worms to improve the structure of your garden soil. If you keep a high
level of organic matter in your soil and prevent it from drying out you
should have plenty to fish with.