Old 23-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Frogleg

Default 1840 vegtable and herbs

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:08:45 GMT, Alice Gamewell
wrote:

I receive a catalog from the Thomas Jefferson Center for Historic
plants. Their web site is www.twinleaf.org or toll free phone
800-243-1743. They may be able to provide assistance.

mbender wrote:

Does anybody know what was in the vegtable and herbs garden of the
1840's? I'm putting together the garden that Franklin Pierce (our 14th
President) had in the 1840's and I 'd like to know what he might have
grown. I'm guessing it was peas and onions but does anyone know what
else? Thanks for the help.

I second any Jefferson references. There are several books on
Jefferson's gardens and plants -- he was a lot more interested in food
plants than flowers, and did a lot to promote a Virginia wine
industry. New Hampshire conditions (and the Pierce family's personal
preferences) may have been quite different. Much more than peas and
onions, I'll bet. At least a look at Jefferson references will show
what was available 30-40 years earlier. Jefferson was *quite*
interested in plants and trees. Pierce's home site may have had a very
ordinary 'kitchen garden'. Just look for similar garden fodder of the
period. No kiwi! What fun!