Old 22-04-2003, 01:44 PM
mbender

Default 1840 vegtable and herbs

Does anybody know what was in the vegtable and herbs garden of the
1840's? I'm putting together the garden that Franklin Pierce (our 14th
President) had in the 1840's and I 'd like to know what he might have
grown. I'm guessing it was peas and onions but does anyone know what
else? Thanks for the help.

Old 22-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Alice Gamewell

I receive a catalog from the Thomas Jefferson Center for Historic
plants. Their web site is www.twinleaf.org or toll free phone
800-243-1743. They may be able to provide assistance.

Old 22-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Valkyrie

"mbender" wrote in message
Does anybody know what was in the vegtable and herbs garden of the
1840's? I'm putting together the garden that Franklin Pierce (our 14th
President) had in the 1840's and I 'd like to know what he might have
grown. I'm guessing it was peas and onions but does anyone know what
else? Thanks for the help.

I found this listing, maybe it will help you a bit;

Vegetable varieties introduced in the 19th century:
a.. Artichoke 'Green Globe'
a.. Artichoke 'Gros Vert de Laon'
a.. Artichoke 'Purple Globe'
a.. Asparagus 'Connover's Colossal'
a.. Aubergine 'New York Round Purple'
a.. Beetroot 'Cylindra'
a.. Broad bean 'Green Windsor'
a.. Brussels sprout 'Wroxton'
a.. Cabbage 'Red Drumhead'
a.. Cardoon 'Gigante de Romagna'
a.. Carrot 'St Valéry'
a.. Celeriac 'Giant Prague'
a.. Celery 'Solid White'
a.. Chicory 'Vareigata di Castelfranco'
a.. Cucumber 'Telegraph'
a.. Endive 'Green Curled Ruffec'
a.. French bean 'Mont d'Or'
a.. Kale 'Cottager's Kale'
a.. Leek 'Musselburgh'
a.. Onion 'Bedfordshire Champion'
a.. Onion 'Rousham Park Hero'
a.. Parsnip 'The Student'
a.. Pea 'Prince Albert'
a.. Potato 'La Ratte'
a.. Potato 'Belle de Fontenay'
a.. Spinach 'Viroflay'

Old 23-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Vox Humana

"mbender" wrote in message
Does anybody know what was in the vegtable and herbs garden of the
1840's? I'm putting together the garden that Franklin Pierce (our 14th
President) had in the 1840's and I 'd like to know what he might have
grown. I'm guessing it was peas and onions but does anyone know what
else? Thanks for the help.

You might backwards engineer it by looking at some cookbooks of that era to
see what ingredients they were using. Another approach would be to look
for seed catalogs of that era. A Google search on "seed catalogs 1840" came
up with some interesting hits.

Old 23-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Frogleg

mbender wrote:

Does anybody know what was in the vegtable and herbs garden of the
1840's? I'm putting together the garden that Franklin Pierce (our 14th
President) had in the 1840's and I 'd like to know what he might have
grown. I'm guessing it was peas and onions but does anyone know what
else? Thanks for the help.

I second any Jefferson references. There are several books on
Jefferson's gardens and plants -- he was a lot more interested in food
plants than flowers, and did a lot to promote a Virginia wine
industry. New Hampshire conditions (and the Pierce family's personal
preferences) may have been quite different. Much more than peas and
onions, I'll bet. At least a look at Jefferson references will show
what was available 30-40 years earlier. Jefferson was *quite*
interested in plants and trees. Pierce's home site may have had a very
ordinary 'kitchen garden'. Just look for similar garden fodder of the
period. No kiwi! What fun!

Old 23-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 00:33:18 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

A Google search on "seed catalogs 1840" came
up with some interesting hits.

Really? I got zip. Are you sure of your search string?
Old 24-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Kim

In article , says...

Does anybody know what was in the vegtable and herbs garden of the
1840's? I'm putting together the garden that Franklin Pierce (our 14th
President) had in the 1840's and I 'd like to know what he might have
grown. I'm guessing it was peas and onions but does anyone know what
else? Thanks for the help.

I gave an answer further down in the thread about possible "search terms" to
use on Google, but I also found this info -

If you are interested in actually purchasing seeds or plants from that era, go
he

http://www.osv.org/Gifts/Index.html

That link is for Old Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts. In the gifts
section, select "garden" and look at the vegetable seeds that are listed for
sale. You get a short description on each one you click on.

--

Kim

"We have done so much with so little for so long that now we can do anything
with nothing." -- Dave Marcis
Old 25-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Frogleg

Now that we've got the search term question straightened out, I want
to see a report from the OP as to what she found and what she plans.
It sounds like a really interesting project.