Old 11-09-2012, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Cheaerp plants treatments

On 11/09/2012 09:58, wrote:
On Monday, September 10, 2012 8:43:32 AM UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 09/09/2012 18:59, meow2222 wrote:

On Saturday, September 8, 2012 5:09:52 PM UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:

Went in to my local Wilkinson today and noticed they have a 50%

reduction offer on several chemical treatments. It includes branded

stuff like Provado. Quite a saving if you want to stock up now for use

next year.

I guess they are making way for the Halloween stuff. Thanks for the

heads up I don't like paying full price for any garden chemicals.

You can save even more by not buying insecticides. Water sprayed upwards under the leaves kills most bugs.

No it doesn't. Largely ineffective. It knocks off a few of the loosely

coupled ones with limited grip or inadequately strong mouthparts.

Scale insects and wooly aphids won't even notice water spray unless you

use a destructive pressure that strips bark and removes all the leaves.

Insects breathe through tiny pores in their skin. If those get wet, they suffocate. Spraying upwards kills them that way. I've found it very effective, infestations of black & greenfly are knocked out in one go. I can't remember whether I've used it on red spider mites.

NT

So if we grow our plants upside down then we will keep them insect free?