Old 08-09-2012, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cheaerp plants treatments

Went in to my local Wilkinson today and noticed they have a 50%
reduction offer on several chemical treatments. It includes branded
stuff like Provado. Quite a saving if you want to stock up now for use
next year.

--

Jeff
Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, September 8, 2012 5:09:52 PM UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
Went in to my local Wilkinson today and noticed they have a 50%

reduction offer on several chemical treatments. It includes branded

stuff like Provado. Quite a saving if you want to stock up now for use

next year.

You can save even more by not buying insecticides. Water sprayed upwards under the leaves kills most bugs.

NT
Old 09-09-2012, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote in

NT wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
Went in to my local Wilkinson today and noticed they have a 50%

reduction offer on several chemical treatments. It includes branded

stuff like Provado. Quite a saving if you want to stock up now for use

next year.

You can save even more by not buying insecticides. Water sprayed upwards
under the leaves kills most bugs.

NT

Well how about that! I'm sure all the experienced gardeners on here will be
grateful for that tip.

Excellent tip, so when I water with a lance why doesn't it kill off the
bugs. Why did my greenhouse suddenly get an infestation of Red Spider Mite
recently despite me using a watering lance.
Next you will tell me how to kill off bindweed without using chemicals.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/09/2012 22:51, Bob Hobden wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote in

NT wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
Went in to my local Wilkinson today and noticed they have a 50%

reduction offer on several chemical treatments. It includes branded

stuff like Provado. Quite a saving if you want to stock up now for use

next year.

You can save even more by not buying insecticides. Water sprayed
upwards under the leaves kills most bugs.

NT

Well how about that! I'm sure all the experienced gardeners on here
will be grateful for that tip.

Excellent tip, so when I water with a lance why doesn't it kill off the
bugs. Why did my greenhouse suddenly get an infestation of Red Spider
Mite recently despite me using a watering lance.
Next you will tell me how to kill off bindweed without using chemicals.

A small nuclear device ground burst ought to do it...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote ...

Scale insects and wooly aphids won't even notice water spray unless you use
a destructive pressure that strips bark and removes all the leaves.

Actually I use water with a bit of washing up liquid to clean my Citrus
trees of scale, something they seem very prone to. I use a sprayer pumped up
as hard as possible and starting at the top go over every branch and leaf
blasting them off. It works well but you also get soaked.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
Scale insects and wooly aphids won't even notice water spray unless you use
a destructive pressure that strips bark and removes all the leaves.

Actually I use water with a bit of washing up liquid to clean my Citrus
trees of scale, something they seem very prone to. I use a sprayer pumped up
as hard as possible and starting at the top go over every branch and leaf
blasting them off. It works well but you also get soaked.

reminds me, the citruses need cleaning off before the winter. They've
had a lot of sooty mildew this summer in the greenhouse.
I've not found anything other than a wet cloth and elbow grease to remove
scalybugs. :-(
Old 11-09-2012, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, September 10, 2012 8:43:32 AM UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 09/09/2012 18:59, meow2222 wrote:

On Saturday, September 8, 2012 5:09:52 PM UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:

Went in to my local Wilkinson today and noticed they have a 50%

reduction offer on several chemical treatments. It includes branded

stuff like Provado. Quite a saving if you want to stock up now for use

next year.

I guess they are making way for the Halloween stuff. Thanks for the

heads up I don't like paying full price for any garden chemicals.

You can save even more by not buying insecticides. Water sprayed upwards under the leaves kills most bugs.

No it doesn't. Largely ineffective. It knocks off a few of the loosely

coupled ones with limited grip or inadequately strong mouthparts.

Scale insects and wooly aphids won't even notice water spray unless you

use a destructive pressure that strips bark and removes all the leaves.

Insects breathe through tiny pores in their skin. If those get wet, they suffocate. Spraying upwards kills them that way. I've found it very effective, infestations of black & greenfly are knocked out in one go. I can't remember whether I've used it on red spider mites.

NT
Old 11-09-2012, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/09/2012 09:58, wrote:
[...]

So if we grow our plants upside down then we will keep them insect free?

Old 11-09-2012, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Insects breathe through tiny pores in their skin. If those get wet,
they suffocate. Spraying upwards kills them that way. I've found it
very effective, infestations of black & greenfly are knocked out in
one go. I can't remember whether I've used it on red spider mites.

NT

Blackfly and greenfly are easy to dislodge by spraying in any direction
, but that is not "most bugs"

Permangenate treatments Bill Stock Ponds 3 20-08-2005 03:50 AM
Cold Treatments David Adolph Orchids 5 14-11-2004 09:01 PM
Cold Treatments David Adolph Orchids 0 14-11-2004 06:22 PM
Fungicides and other treatments Mr Blue Skye United Kingdom 0 11-07-2004 10:03 PM
Fusarium treatments Otto Jones Edible Gardening 0 15-02-2004 01:02 PM