Old 16-09-2012, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Half of an allotment

David Hill wrote in
:

In Cardiff when someone was taking over an empty allotment the
allotment committee would cover it in wooden pallets and burn them to
both get rid of the weeds and also the weed seed.

Thankyou David, that gave me the idea to get as much dry wood and cardboard
to 'process' about 1.5m to get some peas and broad beans in there soon.
I have fell foul of the council law though. So what! I got a warning, it's
done now. Only allowed to burn in briars.
I know you didn't suggest I do it, but it planted a seed in my mind.
For the rest of the plot, when the glyphosate has worked, I will be using
my years old parafin blowlamp, modified of course so the task can be done
standing up. Wish I had not used glyphosate now.

Cheers
Baz