Old 15-09-2012, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Half of an allotment

Our council have started alloting half allotments an I have taken one after
one phone call requesting one. The tenancy agreement is in the post as of
yesterday.
I looked at this plot this morning and it is 8.5m by 15m and overgrown with
weeds and most in seed. I have sprayed the whole plot with glyphosate.
My question is how to deal with the weed seeds which will grow again?
Should I leave it alone and wait for this weed seed to germinate and
glyphosate again or dig the plot when the present weeds die?

I have inherited some raspberries which still have the labels on and
unreadable, so they must be quite new. Some gooseberries which look like
they were stripped of their foliage.

Very exciting day. Just have to get this weed under control.

Baz
Old 15-09-2012, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/09/2012 13:42, Baz wrote:
Our council have started alloting half allotments an I have taken one after
one phone call requesting one. The tenancy agreement is in the post as of
yesterday.
I looked at this plot this morning and it is 8.5m by 15m and overgrown with
weeds and most in seed. I have sprayed the whole plot with glyphosate.
My question is how to deal with the weed seeds which will grow again?
Should I leave it alone and wait for this weed seed to germinate and
glyphosate again or dig the plot when the present weeds die?

I have inherited some raspberries which still have the labels on and
unreadable, so they must be quite new. Some gooseberries which look like
they were stripped of their foliage.

Very exciting day. Just have to get this weed under control.

Baz

In Cardiff when someone was taking over an empty allotment the allotment
committee would cover it in wooden pallets and burn them to both get rid
of the weeds and also the weed seed.
Old 15-09-2012, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote ...

Our council have started alloting half allotments an I have taken one after
one phone call requesting one. The tenancy agreement is in the post as of
yesterday.
I looked at this plot this morning and it is 8.5m by 15m and overgrown with
weeds and most in seed. I have sprayed the whole plot with glyphosate.
My question is how to deal with the weed seeds which will grow again?
Should I leave it alone and wait for this weed seed to germinate and
glyphosate again or dig the plot when the present weeds die?

I have inherited some raspberries which still have the labels on and
unreadable, so they must be quite new. Some gooseberries which look like
they were stripped of their foliage.

Very exciting day. Just have to get this weed under control.

Well other than Garlic there isn't much that needs to be planted this year
so you have a good start for next season. Bit difficult arranging a 4 year
rotation on a small plot though.

If you dig it you dig in the seeds (one years seeds is seven years weeds).
Best to hire a decent flame gun and once you killed all the weeds flame over
the whole plot burning the weeds and their seeds, hopefully. Then dig. (keep
some buckets of water handy just in case it all gets out of hand)

Gooseberries stripped of foliage is usually due to Sawfly and they can do it
in a couple of days if you don't see it first and deal with it.
Is the fruit in the right place, on the N. side of your plot so it doesn't
shade crops? If not you will be able to move them this winter.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-09-2012, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 12:42:26 GMT, Baz wrote:

Our council have started alloting half allotments an I have taken one after
one phone call requesting one. The tenancy agreement is in the post as of
yesterday.
I looked at this plot this morning and it is 8.5m by 15m and overgrown with
weeds and most in seed. I have sprayed the whole plot with glyphosate.
My question is how to deal with the weed seeds which will grow again?
Should I leave it alone and wait for this weed seed to germinate and
glyphosate again or dig the plot when the present weeds die?

I have inherited some raspberries which still have the labels on and
unreadable, so they must be quite new. Some gooseberries which look like
they were stripped of their foliage.

Very exciting day. Just have to get this weed under control.

Baz

Strim, cardboard and start clearing all the rest of it and start using
it.
cardboard available at almost every supermarket - but you might have
to be very flexible about when you collect it (ie: the crack of dawn)
Make a huge compost heap with all the weeds.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 16-09-2012, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in
:

In Cardiff when someone was taking over an empty allotment the
allotment committee would cover it in wooden pallets and burn them to
both get rid of the weeds and also the weed seed.

Thankyou David, that gave me the idea to get as much dry wood and cardboard
to 'process' about 1.5m to get some peas and broad beans in there soon.
I have fell foul of the council law though. So what! I got a warning, it's
done now. Only allowed to burn in briars.
I know you didn't suggest I do it, but it planted a seed in my mind.
For the rest of the plot, when the glyphosate has worked, I will be using
my years old parafin blowlamp, modified of course so the task can be done
standing up. Wish I had not used glyphosate now.

Cheers
Baz

Old 16-09-2012, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

Well other than Garlic there isn't much that needs to be planted this
year so you have a good start for next season. Bit difficult arranging
a 4 year rotation on a small plot though.

Actually Bob, there are things to sow. Broad beans, peas and spring
cabbage. And there are more but these are my preference.

If you dig it you dig in the seeds (one years seeds is seven years
weeds). Best to hire a decent flame gun and once you killed all the
weeds flame over the whole plot burning the weeds and their seeds,
hopefully. Then dig. (keep some buckets of water handy just in case it
all gets out of hand)

I hear you loud and clear, and have fell foul of the law doing it, oops!
Slapped wrist in the first week!

Gooseberries stripped of foliage is usually due to Sawfly and they can
do it in a couple of days if you don't see it first and deal with it.
Is the fruit in the right place, on the N. side of your plot so it
doesn't shade crops? If not you will be able to move them this winter.

How do you deal with Sawfly? You are right, one day all covered in foliage,
the next day stripped to the bone. I can see old wood and the new is very
green.
The raspberries are in the North end. So at least some things are OK.

Thanks.
Baz

Old 16-09-2012, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote

"Bob Hobden"wrote

Well other than Garlic there isn't much that needs to be planted this
year so you have a good start for next season. Bit difficult arranging
a 4 year rotation on a small plot though.

Actually Bob, there are things to sow. Broad beans, peas and spring
cabbage. And there are more but these are my preference.

We plant Broad Beans and Peas in the late winter/spring because we found we
lost too many over winter. Don't grow spring cabbage as the Savoys and
Sprouts usually last.

[...]

Have a look at.....
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=517

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 16-09-2012, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

Have a look at.....
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=517

Yes!
I don't know about you but I am inclined to forget about goosegogs, far too
much care needed.

Baz
Old 16-09-2012, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" wrote

Have a look at.....
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=517

Yes!
I don't know about you but I am inclined to forget about goosegogs, far too
much care needed.

Other than a bit of pruning to shape the bushes I don't find them difficult.
Dangerous and downright vicious but not difficult. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 19-09-2012, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
Our council have started alloting half allotments an I have taken one
after
one phone call requesting one.

Allotments are in such short supply that allocating half plots seems like a
way forward from 10 year waiting lists.
Lots of luck with your plot, Baz.