Old 19-09-2012, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Moss on area of shrub border

rbel wrote in :

We have just completed the weeding of some shrub borders prior to
laying a bark mulch in an effort to reduce the amount of future
weeding. One area of around 10 square metres had a significant
covering of moss (it is more shaded than other areas and probably
contains less builders rubble!).

We have removed all the moss but it occurred to me that 3 inches of
bark may actually encourage the regrowth of moss as it will help
retain moisture.

What does the team think?
--
rbel

I think that the mulch will make matters worse if the border area is North
or West facing and is shaded mostly. 10sq/m is a lot of area to be in
shade. The moss is proof of this IMO. If your shrubs are happily growing do
you need to control the moss? Just a thought.

Hope this helps.
Baz