Old 19-09-2012, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moss on area of shrub border

We have just completed the weeding of some shrub borders prior to
laying a bark mulch in an effort to reduce the amount of future
weeding. One area of around 10 square metres had a significant
covering of moss (it is more shaded than other areas and probably
contains less builders rubble!).

We have removed all the moss but it occurred to me that 3 inches of
bark may actually encourage the regrowth of moss as it will help
retain moisture.

What does the team think?
--
rbel
Old 19-09-2012, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

rbel wrote in :

We have just completed the weeding of some shrub borders prior to
laying a bark mulch in an effort to reduce the amount of future
weeding. One area of around 10 square metres had a significant
covering of moss (it is more shaded than other areas and probably
contains less builders rubble!).

We have removed all the moss but it occurred to me that 3 inches of
bark may actually encourage the regrowth of moss as it will help
retain moisture.

What does the team think?
--
rbel

I think that the mulch will make matters worse if the border area is North
or West facing and is shaded mostly. 10sq/m is a lot of area to be in
shade. The moss is proof of this IMO. If your shrubs are happily growing do
you need to control the moss? Just a thought.

Hope this helps.
Baz
Old 20-09-2012, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:08:02 PM UTC+1, Baz wrote:
rbel wrote in :

[...]

What is wrong with moss? It is far nicer to walk on than grass, especially barefoot, and I have a great video taken in our garden of a blue tit tearing large quantities of it and flying off to its nest.

If moss grows where it does, it is probably because it is best suited to the micro conditions in that area.