Old 27-02-2003, 09:49 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default Coconut fiber

Go to the pet store and purchase Flourite. It's clay that's been smashed up
to the size of aquarium gravel. It is iron rich porous so it has the ability
to store trace minerals. Your plants will love the iron and grow lots better
than using kitty litter or coconut fiber.

Sam

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
It seems that the general consensus of this group, when asked about
soil-less planting media, is to go the "well washed kitty litter" route. I
bought a bag in anticipation of having to repot all my plants. However, it
was also suggested that I try coconut fiber, as it was lighter. I

understand
that it will disintegrate over a year or so's time, but by that time, I'd
have to repot anyway (right?). So it's the proverbial "6 of one/half

dozen
of the other".

Which is better, and why? Also, in doing a search for coconut fiber, it
appears to be available in little blocks, like you would use for planting
seeds. But how would you repot a lily, with already established roots? So
far, I've only purchased new plants; I haven't had to repot them (new
experience!). Also, will lotus grow in kitty litter?

Lee