Old 25-09-2012, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Watercress

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 18:35:22 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

Anyone tried it? Any advice out there?

Pam in Bristol

Yes, I've grown it at home.

I used one of those small plastic storage boxes available from discount
High St shops. You need one *without* holes in the bottom. I filled the
bottom 3 inches with garden gravel, topped up with general purpose
compost to within 2 inches from the top, poured in water until it was
just visible as a film on the surface, and planted the watercress [part
of a shop bought bundle] into it. Made sure it stayed wet all the time
and had fresh watercress well into autumn.

I think if I was going to grow it standing in water I'd rather use
gravel or sand rather than compost.
Still OK to use shop bought water cress as starter plants.
David @ the dull and showery end of Swansea Bay

I've ordered some watercress seed and land cress seed, and also put
some pieces of watercress in a jar of water to root.
Have given up my allotment so have to grow something at home!
Fingers crossed!

Pam in Bristol