Old 25-09-2012, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Watercress

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 19:39:52 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 18:47:27 +0100, Farmer Giles wrote:

Oh dear, how many times do I have to say that I don't intend to grow it
*in* the water!

I'm not sure how you propose to grow watercress without it being in the
water. It's an aquatic/semi aquatic plant...

On the latest GQT Bunny Guinness says she grows watercress in her
greenhouse and in her garden. ~Watercress is traditionally grown in
running water but it is obviously possible to grow it in soil kept
wet.
Anyone tried it? Any advice out there?

Pam in Bristol

Yes, I've grown it at home.

I used one of those small plastic storage boxes available from discount High
St shops. You need one *without* holes in the bottom. I filled the bottom 3
inches with garden gravel, topped up with general purpose compost to within
2 inches from the top, poured in water until it was just visible as a film
on the surface, and planted the watercress [part of a shop bought bundle]
into it. Made sure it stayed wet all the time and had fresh watercress well
into autumn.

--
Kathy

Old 25-09-2012, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 15:08:21 +0100, "Kathy" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Kathy, sounds doable. May try it.

Pam in Bristol
Old 25-09-2012, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anyone tried it? Any advice out there?

Pam in Bristol

Yes, I've grown it at home.

I used one of those small plastic storage boxes available from discount
High St shops. You need one *without* holes in the bottom. I filled the
bottom 3 inches with garden gravel, topped up with general purpose
compost to within 2 inches from the top, poured in water until it was
just visible as a film on the surface, and planted the watercress [part
of a shop bought bundle] into it. Made sure it stayed wet all the time
and had fresh watercress well into autumn.

I think if I was going to grow it standing in water I'd rather use
gravel or sand rather than compost.
Still OK to use shop bought water cress as starter plants.
David @ the dull and showery end of Swansea Bay
Old 25-09-2012, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 18:35:22 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

Anyone tried it? Any advice out there?

Pam in Bristol

Yes, I've grown it at home.

I used one of those small plastic storage boxes available from discount
High St shops. You need one *without* holes in the bottom. I filled the
bottom 3 inches with garden gravel, topped up with general purpose
compost to within 2 inches from the top, poured in water until it was
just visible as a film on the surface, and planted the watercress [part
of a shop bought bundle] into it. Made sure it stayed wet all the time
and had fresh watercress well into autumn.

I think if I was going to grow it standing in water I'd rather use
gravel or sand rather than compost.
Still OK to use shop bought water cress as starter plants.
David @ the dull and showery end of Swansea Bay

I've ordered some watercress seed and land cress seed, and also put
some pieces of watercress in a jar of water to root.
Have given up my allotment so have to grow something at home!
Fingers crossed!

Pam in Bristol

Watercress Wally World Clanger United Kingdom 0 20-10-2003 06:02 PM
Watercress Wally World Clanger United Kingdom 1 20-10-2003 11:02 AM
watercress K30a Ponds 2 25-07-2003 11:32 PM
bidet /Watercress David Hill United Kingdom 0 12-06-2003 07:20 AM
Watercress root rotting, freshwater fish tank. DogCow Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:17 AM