Old 30-09-2012, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_3_] Broadback[_3_] is offline

Default Brassica protection

On 30/09/2012 15:56, Baz wrote:
mogga wrote in
news
On 30 Sep 2012 11:59:02 GMT, wrote:

I've got some late brassicas that really desperately need to go out.
If I put them out now, presumably I won't have much of an issue with
butterflies, but will I still need to net to stop the pigeons?

Yes a net is pretty essential. Our allotment is plagued by them.

I've got a cage. made from old trampolene netting.

A rectangle of net on a wooden frame with sides hung down.
6 poles (ex-gazebo short ones) which catch the screws on the wooden
frame and it all sits nicely.
The sides are just hanging down but clipped at the poles on the
corners with those mega-clips you have for market stalls.

If you are plagued with pigeons your local council will help.
Please explore the possibilty. No town or city would let these flying rats
colonise as they have done in, lets say Trafalgar Square, London. Even
today, after culls.
I would eat a wood pigeon but not a nasty town one.

Baz

I grow all my veg in raised beds and have hoops from side to side, I
simply drape the net over these. There is one problem, as the brassicas
grow the outer leaves "lean" against the netting. If I am not careful
the butterflies then lay their eggs through the netting onto the leaves.
A real pain removing the netting to destroy the caterpillars.