Old 30-09-2012, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Brassica protection

I've got some late brassicas that really desperately need to go out.
If I put them out now, presumably I won't have much of an issue with
butterflies, but will I still need to net to stop the pigeons?

Old 30-09-2012, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in news:acqqg6FusfU1
@mid.individual.net:

I've got some late brassicas that really desperately need to go out.
If I put them out now, presumably I won't have much of an issue with
butterflies, but will I still need to net to stop the pigeons?

I think that if you have netting to spare it can't do any harm to cover
them with it. I definatly would.

Baz
Old 30-09-2012, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
I've got some late brassicas that really desperately need to go out.
If I put them out now, presumably I won't have much of an issue with
butterflies, but will I still need to net to stop the pigeons?

I think that if you have netting to spare it can't do any harm to cover
them with it. I definatly would.

I'm about to take the netting off the currents, so it will be 'spare', but
it's windy and I hate doing jobs like this on my own in this weather. :-/
Old 30-09-2012, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
I've got some late brassicas that really desperately need to go out.
If I put them out now, presumably I won't have much of an issue with
butterflies, but will I still need to net to stop the pigeons?

I think that if you have netting to spare it can't do any harm to
cover them with it. I definatly would.

I'm about to take the netting off the currents, so it will be 'spare',
but it's windy and I hate doing jobs like this on my own in this
weather. :-/

Yes, when its windy it is a sod to do. When I am doing this on my own I
weight down one end of the net with heavy stones or rocks, then drag the
netting over and do the same at the other end. Weight it down. In between
the netting you might need some canes with an upturned plastic bottle on
the end to stop the cane poking through the net. This will stop the netting
going anywhere near your plants. Well, I have read this through and realise
it might not be that clear to anyone but me.. Well, I know what I mean.

Baz
Old 30-09-2012, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vicky wrote

I've got some late brassicas that really desperately need to go out.
If I put them out now, presumably I won't have much of an issue with
butterflies, but will I still need to net to stop the pigeons?

It's during the winter months that pigeon damage is at it's worse so it's
even more important to cover them with netting from now on.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 30-09-2012, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 Sep 2012 11:59:02 GMT, wrote:

I've got some late brassicas that really desperately need to go out.
If I put them out now, presumably I won't have much of an issue with
butterflies, but will I still need to net to stop the pigeons?

Yes a net is pretty essential. Our allotment is plagued by them.

I've got a cage. made from old trampolene netting.

A rectangle of net on a wooden frame with sides hung down.
6 poles (ex-gazebo short ones) which catch the screws on the wooden
frame and it all sits nicely.
The sides are just hanging down but clipped at the poles on the
corners with those mega-clips you have for market stalls.

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 30-09-2012, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mogga wrote in
news
On 30 Sep 2012 11:59:02 GMT, wrote:

I've got some late brassicas that really desperately need to go out.
If I put them out now, presumably I won't have much of an issue with
butterflies, but will I still need to net to stop the pigeons?

Yes a net is pretty essential. Our allotment is plagued by them.

I've got a cage. made from old trampolene netting.

A rectangle of net on a wooden frame with sides hung down.
6 poles (ex-gazebo short ones) which catch the screws on the wooden
frame and it all sits nicely.
The sides are just hanging down but clipped at the poles on the
corners with those mega-clips you have for market stalls.

If you are plagued with pigeons your local council will help.
Please explore the possibilty. No town or city would let these flying rats
colonise as they have done in, lets say Trafalgar Square, London. Even
today, after culls.
I would eat a wood pigeon but not a nasty town one.

Baz
Old 30-09-2012, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/09/2012 15:56, Baz wrote:
mogga wrote in
news
[...]

I grow all my veg in raised beds and have hoops from side to side, I
simply drape the net over these. There is one problem, as the brassicas
grow the outer leaves "lean" against the netting. If I am not careful
the butterflies then lay their eggs through the netting onto the leaves.
A real pain removing the netting to destroy the caterpillars.
Old 30-09-2012, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote in
:

On 30/09/2012 15:56, Baz wrote:
mogga wrote in
news
[...]

If they are leaning over like that you might have rootfly! Easypeasy to
prevent.

Baz
Old 30-09-2012, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
Yes, when its windy it is a sod to do. When I am doing this on my own I
weight down one end of the net with heavy stones or rocks, then drag the
netting over and do the same at the other end. Weight it down. In between
the netting you might need some canes with an upturned plastic bottle on
the end to stop the cane poking through the net. This will stop the netting
going anywhere near your plants. Well, I have read this through and realise
it might not be that clear to anyone but me.. Well, I know what I mean.

I cheated - I planted them all closer together than I should (/much/ closer,
but I figure 2/3 or more will die anyhow), then stole the framework netting
thing off the sweet potatoes. :-)

brassica seedlings and pests Cat(h) United Kingdom 3 30-04-2009 02:54 PM
Brassica virus? sarah United Kingdom 7 22-07-2004 05:12 PM
Brassica cage? Chris United Kingdom 14 06-04-2004 09:49 PM
Brassica Seedling problems United Kingdom 2 02-04-2003 05:56 AM
Brassica transplanting Patrick United Kingdom 5 01-04-2003 01:20 PM