Old 09-10-2012, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Where to site a greenhouse?

On 09/10/2012 21:26, The Original Jake wrote:
On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 13:43:30 GMT, Baz wrote:

Sacha wrote in
:

You might want to be able to squeeze in between fence and greenhouse
to e.g. clean moss off the panes of glass from time to time. It's not
likely to be a major issue but a long handled broom and hosepipe may
do the job, if needed.

A good point, Sacha
I weighed up the pro's and con's, or at least I thought I did!
The more I think of this the more I think of finding another site for this greenhouse.
I feel a compromise comming on soon.

az

I have mine running exactly east-west on the south side of a fence. I
got someone to hold up a plank of wood so far from the fence to see if
I could get past. Kept moving the wood until I could get by, then
added 6 inches to allow for future expansion. I have 1 foot 10 inches
between greenhouse and fence. I have used that space this year to get
in and clean. There's a limit to how far you can do something with a
broom or whatever when you're dealing with 10 feet of length. You also
need to remember potential reglazing in the future.

The gap has a couple of layers of anti-weed membrane covered with an
inch or two of chippings.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

If you allow around 3ft from the fence then you have room to stand
plants they will be sheltered but easily removed if you have to get
through for any reason.