Old 08-10-2012, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Where to site a greenhouse?

I acquired a greenhouse last year and now want to erect it very close to a
West facing fence. Took me months to find glaizing clips for it.
I will struggle to find a better place in the garden because of the way the
garden is set out, well it's complicated, so I was wondering if this is
going to be OK or scrap the idea.
Any advice will be welcome.

Thanks
Baz
Old 08-10-2012, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote

I acquired a greenhouse last year and now want to erect it very close to a
West facing fence. Took me months to find glaizing clips for it.
I will struggle to find a better place in the garden because of the way the
garden is set out, well it's complicated, so I was wondering if this is
going to be OK or scrap the idea.
Any advice will be welcome.

From what I have seen here make sure that a neighbour cannot plant something
or build something to take your light.
One of my neighbours, before he retired, reconfigured his garden for his
retirement and placed his two large greenhouses against a fence on the
southern side. Unfortunately new neighbours moved in on that side and
planted a Leylandii hedge and just let it grow, and grow, and grow. He can
now only use his Greenhouses for storage, they are too dark for anything he
wants to grow.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:52 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
I acquired a greenhouse last year and now want to erect it very close to a
West facing fence. Took me months to find glaizing clips for it.
I will struggle to find a better place in the garden because of the way the
garden is set out, well it's complicated, so I was wondering if this is
going to be OK or scrap the idea.
Any advice will be welcome.
Most of the useful light will come in through the roof, so if that's the best place in the garden for it, then go for it.

make sure there's enough space between the greenhouse and the fence for you not to need to dismantle the fence every time that side if the greenhouse needs some attention.

If it's very close the the fence, the side of the greenhouse nearest the fence won't get much light in. Consider lining it with something that is a good heat insulator. Then have the plants on that side on staging, and you can use the space under for storage, for seeds that haven't yet germinated, bulbs that are dormant, etc.
__________________
Old 09-10-2012, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kay wrote in news:kay.ae8ef97
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

'Baz[_3_ Wrote:
;970468']I acquired a greenhouse last year and now want to erect it very
[...]

Thankyou, kay
Some good ideas there.
I can squeeze a gap of about 600mm between greenhouse and fance, thats all.
Serves me right forgetting about the greenhouse in my newly laid out
garden! Never had one before and I am looking forward to it.

Baz
Old 09-10-2012, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

From what I have seen here make sure that a neighbour cannot plant
something or build something to take your light.
One of my neighbours, before he retired, reconfigured his garden for
his retirement and placed his two large greenhouses against a fence on
the southern side. Unfortunately new neighbours moved in on that side
and planted a Leylandii hedge and just let it grow, and grow, and
grow. He can now only use his Greenhouses for storage, they are too
dark for anything he wants to grow.

Thanks, Bob
There is no danger of that happening as the neighbour has his driveway snug
up to the fence, and at the end of his drive is his garage, which is just
inches North of my intended site. If you know what I mean.

Baz

Old 09-10-2012, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in
:

You might want to be able to squeeze in between fence and greenhouse
to e.g. clean moss off the panes of glass from time to time. It's not
likely to be a major issue but a long handled broom and hosepipe may
do the job, if needed.

A good point, Sacha
I weighed up the pro's and con's, or at least I thought I did!
The more I think of this the more I think of finding another site for this greenhouse.
I feel a compromise comming on soon.

az
Old 09-10-2012, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/10/2012 12:57, Baz wrote:
I acquired a greenhouse last year and now want to erect it very close to a
West facing fence. Took me months to find glaizing clips for it.
I will struggle to find a better place in the garden because of the way the
garden is set out, well it's complicated, so I was wondering if this is
going to be OK or scrap the idea.
Any advice will be welcome.

Thanks
Baz

Strange that there has been no mention of setting the greenhouse East
west or North South.
East West gives you maximum sun at midday which is good during the
Winter months, but can be extra hot in Summer.
North South gives Max of Morning and evening sunshine, though the fence
will shade the Morning sun.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:47 PM posted to Baz,,uk.rec.gardening

make sure there's enough space between the greenhouse and the fence for
you not to need to dismantle the fence every time that side if the
greenhouse needs some attention.

Thankyou, kay
Some good ideas there.
I can squeeze a gap of about 600mm between greenhouse and fance, thats all.

You might consider an impervious membrane or some slabs in that gap, to
keep the weeds at bay.
My neighbour has a greenhouse situated similarly, and I usually have to
lean over the fence and remove the brambles and nettles for him that
grow with alarming rapidity each year.

Al.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:19 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
Thankyou, kay
Some good ideas there.
I can squeeze a gap of about 600mm between greenhouse and fance, thats all.
Serves me right forgetting about the greenhouse in my newly laid out
garden! Never had one before and I am looking forward to it.

Baz
600mm should be OK. I've just repainted my father's garage fascia boards from a gap of 300mm between garage and greenhouse. Mind, I'm fairly slender! And 300mm doesn't allow one to bend down.

What are you planning to use the greenhouse for?
__________________
Old 09-10-2012, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 13:43:30 GMT, Baz wrote:

Sacha wrote in
:

You might want to be able to squeeze in between fence and greenhouse
to e.g. clean moss off the panes of glass from time to time. It's not
likely to be a major issue but a long handled broom and hosepipe may
do the job, if needed.

A good point, Sacha
I weighed up the pro's and con's, or at least I thought I did!
The more I think of this the more I think of finding another site for this greenhouse.
I feel a compromise comming on soon.

az

I have mine running exactly east-west on the south side of a fence. I
got someone to hold up a plank of wood so far from the fence to see if
I could get past. Kept moving the wood until I could get by, then
added 6 inches to allow for future expansion. I have 1 foot 10 inches
between greenhouse and fence. I have used that space this year to get
in and clean. There's a limit to how far you can do something with a
broom or whatever when you're dealing with 10 feet of length. You also
need to remember potential reglazing in the future.

The gap has a couple of layers of anti-weed membrane covered with an
inch or two of chippings.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/10/2012 21:26, The Original Jake wrote:
[...]

If you allow around 3ft from the fence then you have room to stand
plants they will be sheltered but easily removed if you have to get
through for any reason.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kay wrote in news:kay.aea4116
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

'Baz[_3_ Wrote:
;970511']
Thankyou, kay
Some good ideas there.
I can squeeze a gap of about 600mm between greenhouse and fance, thats
all.
Serves me right forgetting about the greenhouse in my newly laid out
garden! Never had one before and I am looking forward to it.

Baz

600mm should be OK. I've just repainted my father's garage fascia boards
from a gap of 300mm between garage and greenhouse. Mind, I'm fairly
slender! And 300mm doesn't allow one to bend down.

What are you planning to use the greenhouse for?

600mm gap is just OK for me to be able to work quite freely. I can just
squeeze into 300mm, so that's no good for me.
Main use is for tomatoes next spring and growing on in the greenhouse.
Cucumbers too. But also for sowing brassicas, sweetcorn and others before
planting out, again next spring.
If you have any tips for me I will be happy to try. This is my first
greenhouse so obviously will need all the help I can get.
I was wondering if there are any veg I could have a go at sowing now, or
perhaps a bit later. Or wait 'till Spring or anytime in between.
As Dellboy would say "The world is my lobster"

Thanks
Baz
Old 10-10-2012, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote

kay wrote
'Baz Wrote:

[...]

Try some of the Chinese cabbages, they grow quickly.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:22 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
Main use is for tomatoes next spring and growing on in the greenhouse.
Cucumbers too. But also for sowing brassicas, sweetcorn and others before
planting out, again next spring.
If you have any tips for me I will be happy to try. This is my first
greenhouse so obviously will need all the help I can get.
I was wondering if there are any veg I could have a go at sowing now, or
perhaps a bit later. Or wait 'till Spring or anytime in between.
As Dellboy would say "The world is my lobster"
Cucumbers are brilliant, very easy, and taste fantastic compared to shop bought ones.

For sowing now, try winter lettuce (there are some bred for growing over winter) - though check whether they need to be frost free. Lots of salad leaf things, mizuna and so on - use them as small leaves in a salad - if nothing else they make supermarket lettuce a lot more interesting. Sow lots - things grow noticeably slower from now on. In later years, use it to extend the season for things that are sown in midsummer, and possibly to keep tender herbs going a bit longer.

In terms of using the greenhouse, and it depends on how much space you have - I find it useful to have a reasonably comfy chair in there for tedious jobs, or just to sit and think. A water butt just outside for easy dipping of watering can (my neighbour feeds hers from her greenhouse roof; I have two, fed from the garage roof). And an old umbrella hanging by the door in case it starts to rain heavily while I'm busy out there.

If you take electricity out there for heating, then put a light in too.