Old 23-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Timothy

Default Milk for powdery mildew

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 23:40:13 -0500, Someone wrote:

I read online that milk can cure powdery mildew when diluted and sprayed
on plants. Has anyone done this successfully? I tried on some tall shrubs
over my vegetable garden but it doesn't appear to be working.

Before I'd go spraying milk all over my garden, I'd try to correct the
problem culturally. Powery mildew is generally the affect of poor air
circulation and poor sanitation. Try opening up some of your affected
plants so air can pass through and clean up all the leaf litter you can
find. Do not compost this litter... trash it or burn it. Have caution at
this time on fertilizing. New, succulant growth is more susceptible to
powery mildew.
I personally would lean more to copper based sprays to deal with powdery
mildew. You'll need to check to see if copper is ok for all your infected
plants because copper will damage somethings.
It's also in your best intrest to locate the vector (source) of this
mildew. It's very likly that it's blowing in from the neighbors house,
weeds in an open lot, the woods near your house. If you can find the
vector and destroy or treat it, you'll be far more successfully at
removing the mildew from your garden all together. If you can remove or
find the vector, your best bet is to plant mildew resistant varities.

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com