Old 10-10-2012, 09:22 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
Main use is for tomatoes next spring and growing on in the greenhouse.
Cucumbers too. But also for sowing brassicas, sweetcorn and others before
planting out, again next spring.
If you have any tips for me I will be happy to try. This is my first
greenhouse so obviously will need all the help I can get.
I was wondering if there are any veg I could have a go at sowing now, or
perhaps a bit later. Or wait 'till Spring or anytime in between.
As Dellboy would say "The world is my lobster"
Cucumbers are brilliant, very easy, and taste fantastic compared to shop bought ones.

For sowing now, try winter lettuce (there are some bred for growing over winter) - though check whether they need to be frost free. Lots of salad leaf things, mizuna and so on - use them as small leaves in a salad - if nothing else they make supermarket lettuce a lot more interesting. Sow lots - things grow noticeably slower from now on. In later years, use it to extend the season for things that are sown in midsummer, and possibly to keep tender herbs going a bit longer.

In terms of using the greenhouse, and it depends on how much space you have - I find it useful to have a reasonably comfy chair in there for tedious jobs, or just to sit and think. A water butt just outside for easy dipping of watering can (my neighbour feeds hers from her greenhouse roof; I have two, fed from the garage roof). And an old umbrella hanging by the door in case it starts to rain heavily while I'm busy out there.

If you take electricity out there for heating, then put a light in too.