Old 14-10-2012, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default Growing plants in a hole.

"Peter Jason" wrote in message
In very dry areas, is it possible to bore a
2-meter hole and plant a tree at the bottom?

Well in opal mining parts of Australaia where it is bothe extremely drya and
extremely hot, some of the miners live underground in houses called 'dug
outs' I know that some tress have been planted and grown in 'underground'
gardens. I've sen pics of them but can't find any online reference to them.
What they look like at ground (or more correctly, at ndnerground level which
is how it's seen from the house) is a normal tree with trunk. At the abobve
groudn level it looks like a tree canopy. Effectivley, the tree is growing
in a hole with it's canopy showing at 'real' ground level.

The roots are nearer water this way and the hole
will collect any scarce rainwater.

The tree will etiolate upwards into the light
where normal growth will continue.

What do you think?

It can be done and really the pics of the trees I've seen of the treed
growing in these hot dry deep holes are not at all etiolated - just growing
well in a place where they should not be able to grow at all because the
conditions are just too darned harsh.