Old 16-10-2012, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plastic Plant Ties

On 10/16/2012 05:32 PM, Broadback wrote:
On 16/10/2012 15:54, Pam Moore wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:04:09 +0100, Judith in England
wrote:

http://www.twowests.co.uk/ProductImages/AT2.jpg

Does anyone recommend a particular manufacturer or supplier of such
ties as in
picture (not necessarily those - I just found that picture)

I have tried a number of different sorts and I finish up at the end
of the
season throwing them away as they have gone brittle or even broken
from the
strength/swelling of the tomato plant stems. I'm not expecting them
to last
for years - I just want something which is reasonable quality - not
too thin,
and flexible.

I always use;
http://www.flexi-tie.co.uk/
It is a brown plastic string, which comes in two thicknesses. It is
soft and strong (and very very long!).
You can cut pieces to length required and at the end of the season it
is easy to unknot and save for next year.
I've bought it at garden shows or online.
I wouldn't use anything else.

Pam in Bristol

I second that. I have been using them for years. They are re-usable,
especially as they are easy to un-knot.Having tried various others these
get my vote every time.

Another endorsement. They don't damage even quite delicate stems. Very
good for training. The only minor complaint I have with it is that
sometimes in a figure eight tie it tends to twist, which can bend a
small stem. This doesn't happen all the time. In any case I wouldn't
be without it.

In the picture the hard plastic will damage green stems IMHO.