Old 16-10-2012, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plastic Plant Ties

http://www.twowests.co.uk/ProductImages/AT2.jpg

Does anyone recommend a particular manufacturer or supplier of such ties as in
picture (not necessarily those - I just found that picture)

I have tried a number of different sorts and I finish up at the end of the
season throwing them away as they have gone brittle or even broken from the
strength/swelling of the tomato plant stems. I'm not expecting them to last
for years - I just want something which is reasonable quality - not too thin,
and flexible.

Old 16-10-2012, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:04:09 +0100, Judith in England
wrote:

http://www.twowests.co.uk/ProductImages/AT2.jpg

Does anyone recommend a particular manufacturer or supplier of such ties as in
picture (not necessarily those - I just found that picture)

I have tried a number of different sorts and I finish up at the end of the
season throwing them away as they have gone brittle or even broken from the
strength/swelling of the tomato plant stems. I'm not expecting them to last
for years - I just want something which is reasonable quality - not too thin,
and flexible.

I always use;
http://www.flexi-tie.co.uk/
It is a brown plastic string, which comes in two thicknesses. It is
soft and strong (and very very long!).
You can cut pieces to length required and at the end of the season it
is easy to unknot and save for next year.
I've bought it at garden shows or online.
I wouldn't use anything else.

Pam in Bristol
Old 16-10-2012, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I second that. I have been using them for years. They are re-usable,
especially as they are easy to un-knot.Having tried various others these
get my vote every time.
Old 16-10-2012, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Pity they don't know that the Isle of Wight is not in Hampshire

Mike

Old 16-10-2012, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Another endorsement. They don't damage even quite delicate stems. Very
good for training. The only minor complaint I have with it is that
sometimes in a figure eight tie it tends to twist, which can bend a
small stem. This doesn't happen all the time. In any case I wouldn't
be without it.

In the picture the hard plastic will damage green stems IMHO.

Old 16-10-2012, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in England" wrote in message
http://www.twowests.co.uk/ProductImages/AT2.jpg

Does anyone recommend a particular manufacturer or supplier of such ties
as in
picture (not necessarily those - I just found that picture)

I have tried a number of different sorts and I finish up at the end of the
season throwing them away as they have gone brittle or even broken from
the
strength/swelling of the tomato plant stems. I'm not expecting them to
last
for years - I just want something which is reasonable quality - not too
thin,
and flexible.

Old tights cut up are as good as anything

I use thin black drip irrigation tubing which you can get from LBS
horticulture.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 16-10-2012, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Judith in
England writes
http://www.twowests.co.uk/ProductImages/AT2.jpg

Does anyone recommend a particular manufacturer or supplier of such ties as in
picture (not necessarily those - I just found that picture)

I have tried a number of different sorts and I finish up at the end of the
season throwing them away as they have gone brittle or even broken from the
strength/swelling of the tomato plant stems. I'm not expecting them to last
for years - I just want something which is reasonable quality - not too thin,
and flexible.

Flexitie every time Judith, you can reuse them every year as well.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 17-10-2012, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 17, 12:30*am, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:04:13 PM UTC+1, Judith in England wrote:
http://www.twowests.co.uk/ProductImages/AT2.jpg

Does anyone recommend a particular manufacturer or supplier of such ties as in

picture (not necessarily those - I just found that picture)

I have tried a number of different sorts and I finish up at the end of the

season throwing them away as they have gone brittle or even broken from the

strength/swelling of the tomato plant stems. *I'm not expecting them to last

for years - I just want something which is reasonable quality - not too thin,

and flexible.

String works

NT

But it can damage the plant if it is too tight, while the plastic
stuff stretches.

Jonathan
Old 17-10-2012, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

http://www.twowests.co.uk/ProductImages/AT2.jpg

Does anyone recommend a particular manufacturer or supplier of such ties as in
picture (not necessarily those - I just found that picture)

Many thanks for comments - it looks like the flexi-ties win hands down. I will
order some

(You'd better all be right !!!)

Many thanks again.

Old 17-10-2012, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Judith in
England writes
Many thanks for comments - it looks like the flexi-ties win hands down. I will
order some

(You'd better all be right !!!)

Many thanks again.

Order mine from wells and winter. Lovely personal 'kind to customer'
firm. Buy my Darlac snips from them as well.
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 17-10-2012, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello All

wrote:

http://www.twowests.co.uk/ProductImages/AT2.jpg

Does anyone recommend a particular manufacturer or supplier of such ties
as in picture (not necessarily those - I just found that picture)

I use a different approach for a lot of things.

I use some plant clips which are clearly manufactured in the Far East, but
which I find to be very quick and last well. I have used them for 3 years
outside with no breakages. You clip to a bamboo or other support, and the
stem goes through the loop. There are 2 sizes available. The problem is that
they appear under all sorts of names. The last ones I bought were labelled
"Goodland's" Plant Clips., but if you put "Kingfisher Plant Clip" into your
web browser you will see what I am talking about.

John

--
John Rye
Hadleigh IPSWICH England