Old 17-10-2012, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Speaking of orchids ...

I've got plenty of phaleanopsiii, and I am fine with them. I have
killed every cambria I've had quite quickly. I've had some cymbidium
that have lasted a few years but all gone now. And I have one more,
which I think, from some googling, is a dendrobium. It is still alive,
and it used to be really really good. But now it's really unhappy.
It has flowers! But 75% or more of the plant is dead, or at least
dead looking. The one stem/stalk which has a flower stem on it is
fine*, but the dead stuff is ... crunchy looking.

The live bit has a case of scale insect. :-( But I can /probably/
get rid of that with a bit of care, and if I don't mind discarding
the flower stem (which would be a shame)

It's in a very warm and sunny south facing window, and it seems to
like it there. I think it got into such a bad state after being left
unwatered for a few months, which was a bit unfortunate.

Any advice on how to help it come back? Or is it a hopeless case
and I should just keep it going as long as possible then bin it?