Old 17-10-2012, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Speaking of orchids ...

I've got plenty of phaleanopsiii, and I am fine with them. I have
killed every cambria I've had quite quickly. I've had some cymbidium
that have lasted a few years but all gone now. And I have one more,
which I think, from some googling, is a dendrobium. It is still alive,
and it used to be really really good. But now it's really unhappy.
It has flowers! But 75% or more of the plant is dead, or at least
dead looking. The one stem/stalk which has a flower stem on it is
fine*, but the dead stuff is ... crunchy looking.

The live bit has a case of scale insect. :-( But I can /probably/
get rid of that with a bit of care, and if I don't mind discarding
the flower stem (which would be a shame)

It's in a very warm and sunny south facing window, and it seems to
like it there. I think it got into such a bad state after being left
unwatered for a few months, which was a bit unfortunate.

Any advice on how to help it come back? Or is it a hopeless case
and I should just keep it going as long as possible then bin it?

Old 18-10-2012, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vicky wrote

[...]

There are so many Dendrobiums and they come from all sorts of temperature
zones and climates.
From what you say it sounds like a tropical one, has a short flower spike
which grows up at the end of the cane?

http://www.tohgarden.com/orchid-care/dendrobium/

although I would change the watering to weekly or two weekly unless it's in
a tropical temperature heated room.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 18-10-2012, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
There are so many Dendrobiums and they come from all sorts of temperature
zones and climates.
From what you say it sounds like a tropical one, has a short flower spike
which grows up at the end of the cane?

Yes. Purpley-white flowers on a thin stem from the end of the cane.

http://www.tohgarden.com/orchid-care/dendrobium/

although I would change the watering to weekly or two weekly unless it's in
a tropical temperature heated room.

I don't think any of my orchids have a problem with my slightly random
watering system, other than when they get accidentally lost and left
unwatered for rather a long time.

However, it's a very useful link, thank you. Had never thought of
charcoal as a growing medium.
Old 19-10-2012, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
although I would change the watering to weekly or two weekly unless it's in
a tropical temperature heated room.

I don't think any of my orchids have a problem with my slightly random
watering system, other than when they get accidentally lost and left
unwatered for rather a long time.

Ours are in a centrally heated living room and get watered once a
week and occasionally less.

Dendrobium, or something else?
Old 19-10-2012, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/10/2012 12:15, Martin wrote:
On 19 Oct 2012 10:04:09 GMT, wrote:

Martin wrote:
although I would change the watering to weekly or two weekly unless it's in
a tropical temperature heated room.

I don't think any of my orchids have a problem with my slightly random
watering system, other than when they get accidentally lost and left
unwatered for rather a long time.

Ours are in a centrally heated living room and get watered once a
week and occasionally less.

Dendrobium, or something else?

My wife who bought them says yes Denrobium. I'm not so sure. The local
growers grow Cymbidium. The orchids that we have are white.

Change of Orchid
In Lidl today they have just had Ludisia (Jewel orchid) in, nice plants,
I'm trying 2 though I have never seen them before.
http://www.orchid-care-tips.com/jewel-orchid.html
David @ a slightly sunny side of Swansea Bay.

Old 19-10-2012, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

Martin wrote:
vicky wrote:

Martin wrote:
although I would change the watering to weekly or two weekly unless
it's in
a tropical temperature heated room.

I don't think any of my orchids have a problem with my slightly random
watering system, other than when they get accidentally lost and left
unwatered for rather a long time.

Ours are in a centrally heated living room and get watered once a
week and occasionally less.

Dendrobium, or something else?

My wife who bought them says yes Denrobium. I'm not so sure. The local
growers grow Cymbidium. The orchids that we have are white.

Change of Orchid
In Lidl today they have just had Ludisia (Jewel orchid) in, nice plants,
I'm trying 2 though I have never seen them before.
http://www.orchid-care-tips.com/jewel-orchid.html

Not the easiest to grow IME David, that's Prosthechea cochleata (I think
that's it's latest name!!).

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 19-10-2012, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/10/2012 17:53, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote

Martin wrote:
vicky wrote:

Martin wrote:
[...]

It's a strange plant. I had one many years ago which grew well for 3 or
4 years, throwing up several new stems. Then one year it just stopped
growing, then died. As to the flowers, they're nothing special - it's
grown for the foliage.

--

Jeff
Old 19-10-2012, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
vicky wrote:

Martin wrote:
[...]

I thought that for 2 for £6.00 they were worth trying

Old 19-10-2012, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

Jeff Layman wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote

Martin wrote:
vicky wrote:

Martin wrote:
[...]

Bargain David, I'd certainly have another go at growing them for that
price..
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 20-10-2012, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
Judging from the photo on the website our orchids are Phalaenopsis

They are by far the most common orchid kept as a houseplant, afaia

Old 20-10-2012, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David Hill wrote:
Change of Orchid
In Lidl today they have just had Ludisia (Jewel orchid) in, nice plants,
I'm trying 2 though I have never seen them before.
http://www.orchid-care-tips.com/jewel-orchid.html

Went looking for photos of the flowers, but they don't look all that
impressive (to me)
http://www.repotme.com/orchid-mix/im...scolor-300.jpg