Old 18-10-2012, 02:02 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm1[_4_] View Post
Well in opal mining parts of Australaia where it is bothe extremely drya and
extremely hot, some of the miners live underground in houses called 'dug
outs' I know that some tress have been planted and grown in 'underground'
gardens.
On Easter Island, gardens are planted in deliberately dug depressions too. The reason in this case is mainly to protect them from the wind. You can grow bananas and avocadoes and stuff like that if you grow them in a hole, but not on the surface. But these are sunken gardens, not individual holes for each plant. The island is extremely well drained because it is mostly permeable lava.

On Lanzarote (Canary islands) vines are grown in little depressions with a wall on the windward side.

I've also seen, indeed stayed in, underground buildings with sunken courtyards in Tunisia. They were used for filming sequences in Star Wars.