Old 20-10-2012, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Garlic planting (with some oddities)

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
When I harvest the garlic I was happy that the wrappers looked
good and they all cleaned up nice and looked reasonable sized.
What I didn't notice at that point was that the soft-necked garlic
all looked a bit *oblong.* I found out when I went to plant them
that the reason they looked that way is because they were
comprised of two ENORMOUS cloves at either end with a few
flattened but more normal sized cloved in the middle.

I wonder if this is a one time thing (weather related) and what
will happen next year.

i've not planted any softneck garlic here so i can't
say from my own experience, but given how mild
things were last winter with the lack of snow and the
lack of rain i'd say it was likely moisture and/or
weather related. it is very unlikely you've selected
for oblong softneck garlic by picking your best to
plant from. unless perhaps you only planted a few
cloves?

songbird