Old 20-10-2012, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Garlic planting (with some oddities)

I planted my garlic this week, a bit later than I had planned due to
a combination of weather and personal health.

The bed had been prepped for a while and by the time I got around
to putting in the garlic we'd finally had some rain. Almost a lot of
rain, by this year's standards. I was pleasantly surprised to find
what seemed to be tiny bok choi growing in the garlic bed (and in
the empty bed) next to it, so I plucked the ones on the garlic bed to
have in soup that evening.

Anyway, I grow both hard- and soft-necked garlic and have planted
from my best for a number of years.

Last vwinter was very mild, and we had some extremely erractic
early spring temperatures (that destroyed the Michigan apple and
cherry crops) followed by drought and abnormally high
temperatures starting in May and carrying on for months.

When I harvest the garlic I was happy that the wrappers looked
good and they all cleaned up nice and looked reasonable sized.
What I didn't notice at that point was that the soft-necked garlic
all looked a bit *oblong.* I found out when I went to plant them
that the reason they looked that way is because they were
comprised of two ENORMOUS cloves at either end with a few
flattened but more normal sized cloved in the middle.

I wonder if this is a one time thing (weather related) and what
will happen next year.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 20-10-2012, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
When I harvest the garlic I was happy that the wrappers looked
good and they all cleaned up nice and looked reasonable sized.
What I didn't notice at that point was that the soft-necked garlic
all looked a bit *oblong.* I found out when I went to plant them
that the reason they looked that way is because they were
comprised of two ENORMOUS cloves at either end with a few
flattened but more normal sized cloved in the middle.

I wonder if this is a one time thing (weather related) and what
will happen next year.

i've not planted any softneck garlic here so i can't
say from my own experience, but given how mild
things were last winter with the lack of snow and the
lack of rain i'd say it was likely moisture and/or
weather related. it is very unlikely you've selected
for oblong softneck garlic by picking your best to
plant from. unless perhaps you only planted a few
cloves?

songbird
Old 22-10-2012, 12:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird said:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
[...]

No, last year they were round. I plant a 4x8 foot bed with garlic,
half hard neck and half soft neck. The cloves I plant usually come
from at least 5 different heads.

We shall see if there are any strange results from these monster cloves.

(Here's hoping for a cold, wet winter and a less extreme summer
next year. Though it seems that the 'new normal' is likely to be
extreme weather, more heat waves and drought.)

Old 23-10-2012, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
songbird said:
Pat Kiewicz wrote:
[...]

good luck!

(Here's hoping for a cold, wet winter and a less extreme summer
next year. Though it seems that the 'new normal' is likely to be
extreme weather, more heat waves and drought.)

enough snow to cover the ground all winter and
a bit of even rains would be ok instead of the
long hot dry spells broken by torrential downpours.
otherwise an added few weeks would be ok with me,
especially if it stayed dry enough to not spoil the
beans in the pods. the old adage of an inch of rain
a week is spot on. two inches probably ok too.
if we get that next season i'd be set.

i'll just hope for a more normal spring so that the
fruit growers can recover. it's hard to hear of a
apple grower speaking of his several thousand trees
and not having a single apple.

songbird

Oddities in RGO? Diana Kulaga[_5_] Orchids 6 11-11-2008 10:43 PM
Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
I need some suggestions. I went a little crazing with some Crocosmia 'Lucifer' and some daylillies and I need to get them undeer control! Marc Gardening 4 31-05-2005 03:17 PM
Garlic planting Judy Rigby United Kingdom 8 31-03-2003 11:44 PM
Jack in the Pulpits & other oddities paghat Gardening 7 11-02-2003 01:25 AM