Old 21-10-2012, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Easy Gardening?

I was at a Trafalgar Night Dinner last night and an intriguing statement was
made which brought up a question.

One of the members had recently moved house and his new garden was 'a hell
of a mess' and he intended to take the easy way out. He was going to cut
down to ground level everything that was there, (there was nothing worth
saving the previous people were not gardeners) and smother the lot in three
or four inches of compost purchased from the council in big one tonne bags
as soon as possible.

'And in the spring I will just Hoe the lot on a regular basis until I have
time to sort it out properly. The compost will smother the weeds and any new
ones I can clobber'

As an avid compost maker myself, I can see that this would work and could be
used by people who are taking over neglected allotments.

Any comments? Would it work? I can't see why it wouldn't. That would be the
easy way, the hard work comes later with the normal gardening.

Mike