Old 21-10-2012, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Easy Gardening?

I was at a Trafalgar Night Dinner last night and an intriguing statement was
made which brought up a question.

One of the members had recently moved house and his new garden was 'a hell
of a mess' and he intended to take the easy way out. He was going to cut
down to ground level everything that was there, (there was nothing worth
saving the previous people were not gardeners) and smother the lot in three
or four inches of compost purchased from the council in big one tonne bags
as soon as possible.

'And in the spring I will just Hoe the lot on a regular basis until I have
time to sort it out properly. The compost will smother the weeds and any new
ones I can clobber'

As an avid compost maker myself, I can see that this would work and could be
used by people who are taking over neglected allotments.

Any comments? Would it work? I can't see why it wouldn't. That would be the
easy way, the hard work comes later with the normal gardening.

Mike

Old 21-10-2012, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

smother the lot in three
or four inches of compost purchased from the council in big one tonne bags
as soon as possible.

'And in the spring I will just Hoe the lot on a regular basis until I have
time to sort it out properly. The compost will smother the weeds and any
new ones I can clobber'

This will depend on what weeds are there. Any perennial weed will find 3 - 4
inches of compost nothing more than a nice warming blanket over the winter
months, and a nice feed in spring. And when he hoes it, the roots will still
be there, shooting up again before the hoe is even back in the shed.

And he's going to be far too busy sorting out his new house even to hoe it
regularly, nor probably will the weather allow this, good intentions
notwithstanding.

He's being somewhat naive IMHO

Steve

Old 22-10-2012, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

He would be better off cutting it all back, waiting till spring, then
spraying the regrowth with round up, then covering with what ever.

I should point out that in my view (as someone who likes gardens) I would
rather get the garden sorted first and it will then be growing while the
house is being done rather than live with an uninspiring mess for several
seasons.
--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 22-10-2012, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, October 21, 2012 5:20:09 PM UTC+1, 'Mike' wrote:
[...]

Mike you certainly post an awful lot of compost on here, maybe you could provide your friend with some of it?
Old 22-10-2012, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, 21 October 2012 17:20:09 UTC+1, 'Mike' wrote:
[...]

Nice to see you are still going, Reg.

Old 22-10-2012, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Steve and Charlie and nice to hear from you Reg, hope all is well
with you.

Thanks for the warnings. Thanks also to Peter for the Skype chat ;-)

What has been suggested is that Council Compost contains 'unknowns' and one
of the unknowns which I was able to explain to Peter, is the thin strips of
clear plastic. Been there, done that, got the frustration. Don't put window
envelopes through the shredder then the contains onto the compost heap now.

Not a good idea was the overall verdict.

Mike

"diamonds" wrote in message
[...]

I'm an Angel, honest ! The horns are there just to keep the halo
straight.

Nice to see you are still going, Reg.

Gardening Design Easy Bob F Gardening 0 10-12-2010 05:42 PM
Easy Vegetable/fruit gardening for children Richard Elsmore Edible Gardening 5 21-05-2009 07:40 PM
International Masters Publication - Plant Guides - Gardening Made Easy. Vivek.M Gardening 1 19-06-2006 10:55 AM
[IBC] Easy species for indoor/outdoor bonsai culture? Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 12-02-2003 01:55 AM
Easy species for indoor/outdoor bonsai culture? 257roberts Bonsai 0 12-02-2003 12:55 AM