Old 22-10-2012, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Follow up- tubular squirrel trap

"Jonathan" wrote in message
On Sep 29, 10:04 pm, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message

I posted here some time ago that I had purchased the above and would
report
on its efficiency or not.
Well I find it very effective. I have caught 4 squirrels in the last 5
days, now that the birds are feeding again and the squirrels are around
stealing the nuts.

What do you do with the trapped squirrels? Presumably one of
1. Kill them (drowning seems simplest).
2. Dump them near or far for someone else to cope with.
3. Deliver them to some animal protection organization.

(Yes, lots of American squirrels hereabouts: but the gardener's
worst enemy is deer, big animals too, 100 pounds or more.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Technically in the UK drowning is illegal.

Jonathan
---
Not *technically* it is seriously illegal. If you are found doing it, you
might get a prison sentence for drowning a mammal.
It's not an acceptable death, IMO.
If you have to do it, let it be instant not struggling for breath underwater
with lungs filling up.
Imagine that for yourself.
I do have to control the rats by law but they either get away from the
doggies fine to live another day or they are gone to RB in a second.
Literally, one second.
I did use poison, once, never again. They died so slowly in plain sight. I
had to bring myself to kill one once because it seemed to be suffering so
much. Never again.
Let the terriers come and send them to RB where there is probably a rat
heaven.