Old 29-09-2012, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Follow up- tubular squirrel trap

I posted here some time ago that I had purchased the above and would
report on its efficiency or not.
Well I find it very effective. I have caught 4 squirrels in the last 5
days, now that the birds are feeding again and the squirrels are around
stealing the nuts.
You have to make sure that it is supplied with nuts, I leave a mouse
trap near either end, as they tend to get at the bait. In addition I
find I need to re-bait fairly early in the morning before the squirrels
tun up. Also on one occasion the trap did not kill the squirrel
outright, as it should.
However overall I find it well worth the investment and better than any
other trap I have tried.
Old 29-09-2012, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message

I posted here some time ago that I had purchased the above and would report
on its efficiency or not.
Well I find it very effective. I have caught 4 squirrels in the last 5
days, now that the birds are feeding again and the squirrels are around
stealing the nuts.

What do you do with the trapped squirrels? Presumably one of
1. Kill them (drowning seems simplest).
2. Dump them near or far for someone else to cope with.
3. Deliver them to some animal protection organization.

(Yes, lots of American squirrels hereabouts: but the gardener's
worst enemy is deer, big animals too, 100 pounds or more.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old 29-09-2012, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I posted here some time ago that I had purchased the above and would report
on its efficiency or not.
Well I find it very effective. I have caught 4 squirrels in the last 5
days, now that the birds are feeding again and the squirrels are around
stealing the nuts.
You have to make sure that it is supplied with nuts, I leave a mouse trap
near either end, as they tend to get at the bait. In addition I find I
need to re-bait fairly early in the morning before the squirrels tun up.
Also on one occasion the trap did not kill the squirrel outright, as it
should.
However overall I find it well worth the investment and better than any
other trap I have tried.

What did you do with the squirrel that was not killed outright in the trap?
Was it injured?
I'm not a squirrel fan but a trap needs to kill instantly IMO.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

Please direct your reply to the group rather than private mailing me, as we
can all learn from this.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 29, 10:04*pm, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message

I posted here some time ago that I had purchased the above and would report
on its efficiency or not.
Well I find it very effective. I have caught 4 squirrels in the last 5
days, now that the birds are feeding again and the squirrels are around
stealing the nuts.

What do you do with the trapped squirrels? *Presumably one of
1. *Kill them (drowning seems simplest).
2. *Dump them near or far for someone else to cope with.
3. *Deliver them to some animal protection organization.

(Yes, lots of American squirrels hereabouts: *but the gardener's
worst enemy is deer, big animals too, 100 pounds or more.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Technically in the UK drowning is illegal.

Jonathan

Old 22-10-2012, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message

[...]

---
Not *technically* it is seriously illegal. If you are found doing it, you
might get a prison sentence for drowning a mammal.
It's not an acceptable death, IMO.
If you have to do it, let it be instant not struggling for breath underwater
with lungs filling up.
Imagine that for yourself.
I do have to control the rats by law but they either get away from the
doggies fine to live another day or they are gone to RB in a second.
Literally, one second.
I did use poison, once, never again. They died so slowly in plain sight. I
had to bring myself to kill one once because it seemed to be suffering so
much. Never again.
Let the terriers come and send them to RB where there is probably a rat
heaven.

Squirrel trap Moonraker United Kingdom 0 12-08-2012 03:52 PM
Moles - to trap or not to trap clarissa United Kingdom 20 01-10-2007 08:26 AM
Masdevallia hirtzii - stunning orange tubular flowers Eric Hunt Orchids 0 11-01-2005 05:39 PM
Strange tubular formations in my pond CDP Ponds 6 22-05-2003 10:32 PM