Old 23-10-2012, 05:04 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Pridham[_2_] View Post
I am after some suggestions for an early ripening (cool summers here) grape
variety and suggestions for suppliers of plants
In my experience Phoenix is very early ripening, and a local vineyard to me, Frithsden, uses it to make very nice wine. Also mildew resistant, which is useful for places with cooler damper climate. But it is a hybrid of 75% vinifera 25% american if that offends you. I have Phoenix against a south facing garage wall, and got a huge crop this year, though they didn't all get perfectly ripe like they have previously. Regent is similar as a red grape, though mine isn't doing so well, but I bought it second and it didn't get the best spot.