Old 23-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Jerry Meislik

Default [IBC] collecting trees

Khaimraj
My gut feeling is that sharp or dull is not the critical feature. Particle
size is, as well as sifting out the fine materials.
Your plant may have failed because anytime there is a major difference in
particle size from one area to another roots will not easily move across
that "barrier".
Just my guess. Anxiously awaiting the many other views.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

Do sharp ingredients in the soil mix [ crushed sifted
brick or crushed sifted silica gravel or other ] really
give one more root branching and better branching above
soil ?
[Because the root tips move around the sharp particles.]

I read this years ago and never questioned it.

Reason for asking I just lost a Grewia Caffra,because I
stupidly forgot to change the soil mix the plant came it
[high clay crap] and just potted on into a 2 gallon pot.
Was a 8 x 8 x 8 " pot originally.

Result after 3 years and much growth.I cut away half of
the root and didn't realise all the feeders were in my mix
not the original soil.The plant slowly dried.

Starting over,but wondering if a mix with sharp ingredients
would really make a difference ?
[ Starting over with a 1/3 of a 55 gallon plastic barrel,I have
3 years to make up for.Bah Humbug.]
Thanks for any responses.
Khaimraj

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++