Old 23-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Colin Horn

Default [IBC] collecting trees

Hi everyone,
I understand when I brought up this topic, I gave the impression that I do
not care about the environment. I am sorry for that misunderstanding. I feel
the exact opposite way. The main reason I enjoy bonsai so much, is because
it gives me a chance to understand nature more clearly. I agree with
everybody, in that we must be extra carfull and responsible while collecting
trees from nature. I feel that our natural environments need to be
protected, and its' wellbeing should be a priority over collecting a couple
trees.I would never jeopardize nature for my benefit. If I am lucky enough
to get permission to collect, I will be extra careful while exploring
possible bonsai. If I am succesfull, and I see good material, I will only
take 1 - 2 trees. I would rather have the trees live in their natural home,
than to put them at risk of dying. Thanks for reminding me about the
importance of responsible collectiong. - Colin Horn Orinda, CA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Jim Lewis

[...]

Hope you find a good 'un. Thanks.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-04-2003, 03:56 PM
John NJ

Colin:

You certainly got more than you bargained for in response to your query. g

What most newbies, including myself, don't consider is the amount of work
involved in collecting a tree. I dug up an azalea in my yard and that was a
pain in the butt. I could just imagine what it would be like digging up a
tree way out in the woods and getting it home. I'd rather pay someone that
knows what they're doing and enjoys it. Then we both win.

Good luck on your expedition.
John-NJ

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-04-2003, 04:57 PM
Jim Lewis

Colin:

You certainly got more than you bargained for in response to

your query. g

What most newbies, including myself, don't consider is the

amount of work
involved in collecting a tree. I dug up an azalea in my yard

and that was a
pain in the butt. I could just imagine what it would be like

digging up a
tree way out in the woods and getting it home. I'd rather pay

someone that
knows what they're doing and enjoys it. Then we both win.

On the other hand, part of the enjoyment in a collecting
expedition comes from the exercise -- "work," if you will. If
you plan to collect anything large -- 2 feet and with a
rootball that may measure 18 inches in circumference -- you need
to know that this will weigh _several_ pounds and that you need
to lug it back to your car or truck. Most of us carry these
large trees out on our backs, so get a pack frame.

If you're just getting 10-inch seedlings, and plants that will
fit in a 1-gallon pot, that's a gathering trip. ;-) Just sling
them into a plastic bag and walk home -- though 4-5 one-gal. pots
filled with soil are also heavy if you're walking more than a few
miles.

(And it's "worse" if you're slogging home through a swamp after a
day of digging trees out of 2-feet of water. Isn't it, Gary?)

Old 23-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

(And it's "worse" if you're slogging home through a swamp after a
day of digging trees out of 2-feet of water. Isn't it, Gary?)

David Thoreau - Walden

Hello to All,
Yes Jim,

I guess some swamps are simpler than others.Those
mangrove stilts are murder and one is never sure if
the prize is going to live.

Or you could hang on the edge of the island on the
Atlantic side,3 feet above 60 foot deep water,casually
collecting buttonwoods or oxys.

Ahh, the joys of Bonsai from seed,but then you wouldn't
have great memories to share,would you ?

A question Jim or anyone.

Do sharp ingredients in the soil mix [ crushed sifted
brick or crushed sifted silica gravel or other ] really
give one more root branching and better branching above
soil ?
[Because the root tips move around the sharp particles.]

I read this years ago and never questioned it.

Reason for asking I just lost a Grewia Caffra,because I
stupidly forgot to change the soil mix the plant came it
[high clay crap] and just potted on into a 2 gallon pot.
Was a 8 x 8 x 8 " pot originally.

Result after 3 years and much growth.I cut away half of
the root and didn't realise all the feeders were in my mix
not the original soil.The plant slowly dried.

Starting over,but wondering if a mix with sharp ingredients
would really make a difference ?
[ Starting over with a 1/3 of a 55 gallon plastic barrel,I have
3 years to make up for.Bah Humbug.]
Thanks for any responses.
Khaimraj
[West Indies/Caribbean,
Sempre Spring zone.]

Old 23-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Jerry Meislik

Khaimraj
My gut feeling is that sharp or dull is not the critical feature. Particle
size is, as well as sifting out the fine materials.
Your plant may have failed because anytime there is a major difference in
particle size from one area to another roots will not easily move across
that "barrier".
Just my guess. Anxiously awaiting the many other views.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

Old 24-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Hello to All,

Jerry,

fortunately the experience I gained from growing the Grewia
Caffra,off set the premature death somewhat.I can focus
on growing for a large trunk with thick branches,knowing that
the finer branching can be easily had down the road on this
second specimen.

What I had hoped to hear from someone was that they had
actively tested the sharp particle idea and seen a difference
in the branching,or root response.Basically more branches/roots
and finer.
I tend to prefer the open tree branching with movements of
branchlets being up,down,across and not the layered shape.
Takes longer with clip and grow[alphabetical order],but it is
much more satisfying to achieve.Also looking very natural.

Your correct about the "barrier",as I observed in the "autopsy"
a very few fat roots in the clay soil ,with the finer feeders
occurring in the bonsai soil mix used in potting on the shrub.

I have put the "corpse" aside for the standard ashing,and then
to be used as a glaze on a pot.Gone but not forgotten.
Khaimraj
[Caribbean/West Indies,
Sempre Spring Zone.]

My gut feeling is that sharp or dull is not the critical feature. Particle
size is, as well as sifting out the fine materials.
Your plant may have failed because anytime there is a major difference in
particle size from one area to another roots will not easily move across
that "barrier".
Just my guess. Anxiously awaiting the many other views.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Worm collecting farms - collecting/harvesting worms? anm Edible Gardening 0 19-08-2009 11:27 AM
[IBC] Avoid Nothing (Was [IBC] Trees to avoid collecting or trying to work with !) Michael Persiano Bonsai 1 18-12-2003 07:05 PM
[IBC] collecting trees luc tran Bonsai 3 20-07-2003 07:32 PM
[IBC] Sharp Particles & Moisture Zones (was collecting trees) Alan Walker Bonsai 1 24-04-2003 11:44 AM
[IBC] collecting trees Colin Horn Bonsai 9 22-04-2003 10:08 PM