Old 29-10-2012, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ash dieback disease

In article ,
Her@Nowhere wrote:

Ash disease and the import ban has been under discussion in urg in several threads, since
early October.. as you'd know if you had any real interest in it.

On the 6th of October I posted the correct information about the ash disease plus
this forestry link http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-8w9euv .

Considerably more helpful-- to gardeners--- than your sniping.

I am afraid that I was singularly unconvinced, largely because of
the inconsistencies and omissions in those and similar pages, and
eventually found a page that I did find informative. My main
objection to it is that it has assumed an Asiatic origin, but
provided no reason to favour that over a hybridization or mutation
event. Be warned that it is not easy reading.

ascofrance.com/uploads/forum_file/15327.pdf

For those who cannot face the thought of decoding its arcane jargon,
the executive summary is "We aren't sure how this originated or how
it is going to develop, but we think that we have identified the
organism as a close relative of a widespread and harmless fungus."
So Chalara fraxinea will almost certainly be renamed Hymenoscyphus
pseudoalbidus in the near future, much to the bafflement of all
laymen :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.