Old 30-10-2012, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Miles Frank Miles is offline

Default Color paint to repel insects.

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:07:53 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

Some yellow lights are supposed to repel mosquitoes etc.

Is there a color that will repel or dissuade insect pests? I'm
thinking of painting stakes or trellises any suitable color.

Peter

With hummingbird feeders - word is you should avoid yellow because yellow
jackets are attracted to it (and find the yummy syrup). So red is
preferred there.

Of course, maybe a yellow fence would be good, they're not going to find
much syrup there!

Insect visual systems vary a lot, depending on what it eats, when it
breeds,... If you have a _specific_ insect that is problematic for you,
find out more about that. I don't think you'll find a one-size-repels-
all.