Old 29-10-2012, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Color paint to repel insects.

Some yellow lights are supposed to repel
mosquitoes etc.

Is there a color that will repel or dissuade
insect pests? I'm thinking of painting stakes or
trellises any suitable color.

Peter
Old 29-10-2012, 03:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

Peter Jason wrote:
Some yellow lights are supposed to repel
mosquitoes etc.

I don't think that is right. The way I think it goes is that many insects'
eyesight works best in the blue and ultrviolet region of the spectrum and so
yellow light is invisible (or less visible) so they are not attracted at
night to a yellow light as much as a white one. Nothing about repelling
them.

Is there a color that will repel or dissuade
insect pests? I'm thinking of painting stakes or
trellises any suitable color.

I think this is mission impossible.

David

Old 29-10-2012, 05:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Peter Jason wrote:

Some yellow lights are supposed to repel
mosquitoes etc.

It's not that yellow repels mosquitoes, it just doesn't attract them,
and other insect, like white lights do.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 30-10-2012, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:07:53 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

Some yellow lights are supposed to repel mosquitoes etc.

Is there a color that will repel or dissuade insect pests? I'm
thinking of painting stakes or trellises any suitable color.

Peter

With hummingbird feeders - word is you should avoid yellow because yellow
jackets are attracted to it (and find the yummy syrup). So red is
preferred there.

Of course, maybe a yellow fence would be good, they're not going to find
much syrup there!

Insect visual systems vary a lot, depending on what it eats, when it
breeds,... If you have a _specific_ insect that is problematic for you,
find out more about that. I don't think you'll find a one-size-repels-
all.
Old 30-10-2012, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 00:36:51 +0000 (UTC), Frank
Miles wrote:

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:07:53 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

Some yellow lights are supposed to repel mosquitoes etc.

Is there a color that will repel or dissuade insect pests? I'm
thinking of painting stakes or trellises any suitable color.

Peter

With hummingbird feeders - word is you should avoid yellow because yellow
jackets are attracted to it (and find the yummy syrup). So red is
preferred there.

Of course, maybe a yellow fence would be good, they're not going to find
much syrup there!

Insect visual systems vary a lot, depending on what it eats, when it
breeds,... If you have a _specific_ insect that is problematic for you,
find out more about that. I don't think you'll find a one-size-repels-
all.

Thanks. I live in town and I want to grow a
tomato plant in a pot with a special wooden stake
I've invented... (in the corner)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/p3256051.jpg/

The bugs are quite voracious and have damaged a
cumquat tree and my Tahitian lime tree. Only
pelagoniums and cycads seem to survive. I
thought to paint the stake some suitable colour.

Old 30-10-2012, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Miles wrote:

[...]

I suspect it is not the same bugs damaging your tomato and citrus. You need
to find out what specifically is doing it so you can beat it. There are
many methods (spraying, trapping, exclusion, providing predators etc) but to
work out the best in your case you need to know the culprit. Colour coding
won't work.