Old 05-11-2012, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Grow anywhere plant

On 05/11/2012 16:15, Martin Brown wrote:
On 05/11/2012 15:52, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
I have a three foot wide, 120 foot long border that is just well dug
soil. As I'm disabled I can't do much gardening. I need a packet of
"magic" seeds that can be just scattered and pushed in. Any ideas?

Calendula, Aquilegia perhaps. Foxgloves, Anthurinums Be careful what you
wish for as grow anywhere plants have a tendency to be invasive.

Valerian Centranthus is very grow anywhere nice pink flowers and lots of
butterflies but you may regret introducing it to your garden.

Various groundcover herbaceous plants. Heathers if planted though weed
fabric and scree on top.

In the hope of encouraging and feeding early bees, I would add
Primroses, and violets. I definitely agree with Aquilegias and
Foxgloves, as they're both very pretty, self-seed and bees seem to love
them. I am growing a lovely white Sidalcea (sorry, can't remember the
cv) but it is long-flowering, self-seeding, and seems to glow in the
semi-darkness. Although it's really a sun-lover, it seems to tolerate
*slight* shade and still flower reliably from summer to autumn.
Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' is also very reliable with me, hardy *and*
self-seeds in a fairly well-behaved manner. It is still flowering now,
so would give you good colour from later summer to the end of the
season. Michaelmas Daisies would also give you late colour and attract
insects. If you know someone who has them, you can probably beg a bit
of seed.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London