Old 05-11-2012, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Grow anywhere plant

On 05/11/2012 17:08, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 16:15:34 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 05/11/2012 15:52, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
I have a three foot wide, 120 foot long border that is just well dug
soil. As I'm disabled I can't do much gardening. I need a packet of
"magic" seeds that can be just scattered and pushed in. Any ideas?

Calendula, Aquilegia perhaps. Foxgloves, Anthurinums Be careful what you
wish for as grow anywhere plants have a tendency to be invasive.

Valerian Centranthus is very grow anywhere nice pink flowers and lots of
butterflies but you may regret introducing it to your garden.

Various groundcover herbaceous plants. Heathers if planted though weed
fabric and scree on top.

Thanks Martin. Anything is better than plain soil! A bit of "invasive"
would be ideal as there is no easy escape. The garden is well
contained by block paving and concrete. There is a big lawn but it is
maintained by a garden service company. They would probably plant the
border but they don't come cheap.

120 foot border of all the same is a bit much.

You probably want it split into 4 or 5 zones with different
characteristics at least at the outset. I was serious about the valerian
being invasive it can get very out of control.

The other trick is cadge cuttings of things like cotoneaster
horizontalis, forsythia (esp the variagated one), hydrangeas, dogwoods.
Sorts of things that can stand up to industrial grade gardeners. So that
there are a few decent sized chunky plants in different heights and sizes.

Flowering cherry ama-no-gawa is a bit trite but looks nice in a narrow
border and never really gets too big.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown