Old 09-11-2012, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default elm sapling giveaway

On 09/11/2012 17:11, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote

Janet Tweedy wrote:
Martin writes

" Fifty years after Dutch elm disease wiped out over 25 million trees
in the UK" So long ago?

I would have said more nearer 1970 that the final ones succumbed
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

We had elms in our hedges in 1988 that grew back so long as you cut
them to hedge hight, as advised by the Forestry Commission.

Yes but some of us remember when elms were just about the biggest trees
around.

When I was teaching in the early 70's we had an avenue of around 16 old
and healthy Elms.
I would have thought it was around 50 years ago when Dutch Elm Disease
first showed up in the UK