Old 20-11-2012, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Ping Christina Websell

On 20/11/2012 12:09, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Spider
writes
Like yours, my tree has also impressed others into growing one. I have
given away small seedling trees too, but unlike my tree, they're on
their own roots, so the end result is something of an unknown
quantity. However, I'm going to use some of my seedling trees to boost
a Pyracantha hedge, so if I live long enough, I may see them mature.

Would it be possible i wonder to take a cutting of a tree? Never
actually tried it - no idea what would happen. i know they can be
grafted but if Stachyurus which almost resemble small trees can strike I
may just try my Cratageus

My RHS Prop guide only suggests seed, grafting or budding as a method of
increasing stock. If your tree is on a different roostock, your seeds
won't come true, but could still be attractive. If you're hoping to try
grafting or budding, you'll need a suitable rootstock (usually Crataegus
monogyna).

Otherwise, you could just try putting some cuttings into a slip trench
out of the way somewhere and just see what happens.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London