Old 18-11-2012, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Christina Websell

Hello Christina,

I've just seen you mention your berry tree on the birdwatching group,
and still hope to identify it.

Have a google on Crataegus crus-galli inermis, the Thornless Cockspur
Hawthorn. It is the nearest thing I've seen so far. Fingers crossed.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 18-11-2012, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
Hello Christina,

I've just seen you mention your berry tree on the birdwatching group, and
still hope to identify it.

Have a google on Crataegus crus-galli inermis, the Thornless Cockspur
Hawthorn. It is the nearest thing I've seen so far. Fingers crossed.

--

It's very near although it doesnt spread like that. Other than that, the
leaves are the same,apple like, the flowers are similar and so are the

Old 18-11-2012, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/11/2012 21:58, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
Hello Christina,

I've just seen you mention your berry tree on the birdwatching group, and
still hope to identify it.

Have a google on Crataegus crus-galli inermis, the Thornless Cockspur
Hawthorn. It is the nearest thing I've seen so far. Fingers crossed.

--

It's very near although it doesnt spread like that. Other than that, the
leaves are the same,apple like, the flowers are similar and so are the
berries.
It doesn't spread like the pic.not at all. It's like a rowan,not more
spread than that.
Other than spread you might have identified it. Everything is right except
the spread which is very wrong for my tree.

Is there any sign that it's had its crown raised? I have a very similar
tree with a low, spreading crown and I had to remove the lower branches
to make it safe to mow the lawn. It is still lovely, but less dangerous
... mine has thorns.

Old 18-11-2012, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Spider
writes
Hello Christina,

I've just seen you mention your berry tree on the birdwatching group,
and still hope to identify it.

Have a google on Crataegus crus-galli inermis, the Thornless Cockspur
Hawthorn. It is the nearest thing I've seen so far. Fingers crossed.

Fantastic tree, I managed to source one about 5 years ago and the leaves
are nothing like the ordinary hawthorn, the autumn colours are really
rich and the berries (and thorns!) are about 8 times the size of the
ordinary crategus.

Having bought mine three of my friends were impressed enough to get one
as well
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 19-11-2012, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/11/2012 23:19, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Spider
writes
Hello Christina,

I've just seen you mention your berry tree on the birdwatching group,
and still hope to identify it.

Have a google on Crataegus crus-galli inermis, the Thornless Cockspur
Hawthorn. It is the nearest thing I've seen so far. Fingers crossed.

Fantastic tree, I managed to source one about 5 years ago and the leaves
are nothing like the ordinary hawthorn, the autumn colours are really
rich and the berries (and thorns!) are about 8 times the size of the
ordinary crategus.

Having bought mine three of my friends were impressed enough to get one
as well

Agreed, though yours is obviously not the 'inermis' form, since it has
thorns; otherwise they seem to be alike in every way. My tree is
slightly different again. It is the Crataegus x persimilis
'Prunifolia', the Cherry-leaved Hawthorn. However the autumn colours
are brilliant (flaming reds, oranges, golds and some plummy colouring),
plus up to 3" thorns. The May/June flowers attract lots of flying
insects and the deep red autumn berries attract birds.
The C. crus-galli and the C. 'Prunifolia' make magnificent small garden
trees (not 'postage stamp' plots) and they're great for wildlife. I
hang fatballs in mine to boost the food supply.

Like yours, my tree has also impressed others into growing one. I have
given away small seedling trees too, but unlike my tree, they're on
their own roots, so the end result is something of an unknown quantity.
However, I'm going to use some of my seedling trees to boost a
Pyracantha hedge, so if I live long enough, I may see them mature.

Old 19-11-2012, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Christina Websell
writes
It's like a rowan,not more
spread than that.

Not the one I have Christina., It has a quite wide formed head compared
to its height which was why i liked them. Mine is definitely getting
wider as it grows, nothing like a rowan that i have at the end of my
patio more like an Acer I suppose.
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 20-11-2012, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Spider
writes
Like yours, my tree has also impressed others into growing one. I have
given away small seedling trees too, but unlike my tree, they're on
their own roots, so the end result is something of an unknown quantity.
However, I'm going to use some of my seedling trees to boost a
Pyracantha hedge, so if I live long enough, I may see them mature.

Would it be possible i wonder to take a cutting of a tree? Never
actually tried it - no idea what would happen. i know they can be
grafted but if Stachyurus which almost resemble small trees can strike I
may just try my Cratageus
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 20-11-2012, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/11/2012 12:09, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Spider
writes
Like yours, my tree has also impressed others into growing one. I have
given away small seedling trees too, but unlike my tree, they're on
their own roots, so the end result is something of an unknown
quantity. However, I'm going to use some of my seedling trees to boost
a Pyracantha hedge, so if I live long enough, I may see them mature.

Would it be possible i wonder to take a cutting of a tree? Never
actually tried it - no idea what would happen. i know they can be
grafted but if Stachyurus which almost resemble small trees can strike I
may just try my Cratageus

My RHS Prop guide only suggests seed, grafting or budding as a method of
increasing stock. If your tree is on a different roostock, your seeds
won't come true, but could still be attractive. If you're hoping to try
grafting or budding, you'll need a suitable rootstock (usually Crataegus
monogyna).

Otherwise, you could just try putting some cuttings into a slip trench
out of the way somewhere and just see what happens.

Old 20-11-2012, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Hello Christina,

I've just seen you mention your berry tree on the birdwatching group,
and
still hope to identify it.

Have a google on Crataegus crus-galli inermis, the Thornless Cockspur
Hawthorn. It is the nearest thing I've seen so far. Fingers crossed.

--

It's very near although it doesnt spread like that. Other than that,
the
leaves are the same,apple like, the flowers are similar and so are the
berries.
It doesn't spread like the pic.not at all. It's like a rowan,not more
spread than that.
Other than spread you might have identified it. Everything is right
except
the spread which is very wrong for my tree.

Is there any sign that it's had its crown raised?

No, absolutely not. Mine does not have thorns eother.

Old 20-11-2012, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It's very near although it doesnt spread like that. Other than that,
the
leaves are the same,apple like, the flowers are similar and so are the
berries.
It doesn't spread like the pic.not at all. It's like a rowan,not more
spread than that.
Other than spread you might have identified it. Everything is right
except
the spread which is very wrong for my tree.

Is there any sign that it's had its crown raised?

No, absolutely not. Mine does not have thorns eother.

I have a very similar
tree with a low, spreading crown and I had to remove the lower branches to
make it safe to mow the lawn. It is still lovely, but less dangerous

What a pity you don't have a picture then we could all join in.

Old 20-11-2012, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Spider
writes
Otherwise, you could just try putting some cuttings into a slip trench
out of the way somewhere and just see what happens.

Yes , might have a try at that Spider!
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 21-11-2012, 01:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message

It's very near although it doesnt spread like that. Other than
that,
the
leaves are the same,apple like, the flowers are similar and so are the
berries.
It doesn't spread like the pic.not at all. It's like a rowan,not more
spread than that.
Other than spread you might have identified it. Everything is right
except
the spread which is very wrong for my tree.

Is there any sign that it's had its crown raised?

No, absolutely not. Mine does not have thorns eother.

I have a very similar
tree with a low, spreading crown and I had to remove the lower branches
make it safe to mow the lawn. It is still lovely, but less dangerous

What a pity you don't have a picture then we could all join in.

It's exactly like what Spider said without the spreading growth. It's
quite an upright tree and it has not been pruned.
It was a mature tree when I moved here in the mid 80's and looks the same
now as it did then i.e. it hasn't grown so I assume it was already maximum
size.

Is Christina Around? Christina Websell[_2_] United Kingdom 1 11-02-2010 11:37 PM
Christina Websell sucks donkey dick Ernie[_2_] United Kingdom 8 20-01-2010 08:55 PM
Ping sacha - reposted message! Ping Spider re Deutzia Spider[_2_] United Kingdom 4 04-05-2009 06:28 AM
PING PING Jan -ED Ponds 0 30-06-2006 04:46 PM
Ping: Pam Garden Gal Mark or Travis Gardening 1 02-02-2003 02:02 PM